Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 10-14-2007, 07:21 PM

Default Re: ***First Official BCS Standings Thread***

[ QUOTE ]
Margin of victory isn't weighted at all. A 1 point win against FAU is just as good as a 42 point win against Kent State.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it occur to you that margin of victory is weighted less to discourage teams from beating up on cupcakes all season to go undefeated? SoS should be and should have always been 1000x more important than margin of victory. I don't think anyone really thinks USF is better than tOSU, but their ranking is a reward for 2 victories against very tough teams.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Margin of victory isn't weighted at all. A 1 point win against FAU is just as good as a 42 point win against Kent State.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did it occur to you that margin of victory is weighted less to discourage teams from beating up on cupcakes all season to go undefeated? SoS should be and should have always been 1000x more important than margin of victory. I don't think anyone really thinks USF is better than tOSU, but their ranking is a reward for 2 victories against very tough teams.

[/ QUOTE ]

Margin of victory isn't weighted less, it isn't allowed to be used in the computer polls. The theory behind it is as you say, to prevent blowouts, but this is stupid. The very smart people who write these computer polls know how to intelligently take margin of victory into account, which is why people like sagarin have multiple ratings, the one they use for the BCS and their regular one that uses more available information.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1000x more important with what? Which computer predictor is more accurate in determining what teams will win next week? Sagarin Predictor, or ELO-CHESS? If you really are stupid enough to believe that the "unbiased" ELO-CHESS is a better predictor of skill than one that accounts for margin of victory, I'd be happy to make bets soley on these tools against you next week.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM

What are the CPU (only) rankings?
Old 10-14-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Linky

South Florida is not only on top of the computer rankings, but they're on top by a lot. If they make it to #2 in the human polls, they should take #1 overall.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I can only find some of the individual polls, but the composite computer top 15 is:

South Florida
LSU
South Carolina
Kentucky
Arizona State/Ohio State (tie)
Boston College
Virginia Tech/Kansas (tie)
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Auburn
Oregon
Cal/Virginia (tie)
Old 10-14-2007, 07:43 PM

But none of those are allowed to consider margin. The Sagarin predictor has USF 7, Oklahoma is 1, OSU 2, Oregon 3.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Margin of victory isn't weighted less, it isn't allowed to be used in the computer polls. The theory behind it is as you say, to prevent blowouts, but this is stupid. The very smart people who write these computer polls know how to intelligently take margin of victory into account, which is why people like sagarin have multiple ratings, the one they use for the BCS and their regular one that uses more available information.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for putting words in my mouth. I said SoS is weighted so as to encourage schools to play decent competition rather than scheduling cupcakes all year - I never said anything about preventing blowouts and running up the score; I know that was the reason many were calling for the abolition of margin of victory, but it is not the reason why I think it's an absolutely retarded method of figuring the best team.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1000x more important with what? Which computer predictor is more accurate in determining what teams will win next week? Sagarin Predictor, or ELO-CHESS? If you really are stupid enough to believe that the "unbiased" ELO-CHESS is a better predictor of skill than one that accounts for margin of victory, I'd be happy to make bets soley on these tools against you next week.

[/ QUOTE ]

Point out wherever I said margin of victory should absolutely not be used as a predictor. It should be factored in somehow, but there's no way it should be nearly as important as SoS - it's like you're trying to tell me a team can schedule 1 ranked opponent, win by 10, then beat nothing but mediocre teams by 30 and claim to be a better team than one who plays top-50 competition each week and wins by 3.

Clearly margin has to be accounted for to separate that latter team from one who also plays good teams and beats the piss out of them. It would take an absolute retard to completely disregard margin of victory; I am not that person.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 PM

Are you drunk?