Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: October [censored] thread

anyone know why the yen has been struggling vs the dollar in the past week or two despite dollars significantly poor performance vs GBP?
Old 10-05-2007, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
anyone know why the yen has been struggling vs the dollar in the past week or two despite dollars significantly poor performance vs GBP?

[/ QUOTE ]

the first thing that comes to mind is the japanese dependence on the US as an export market (though less so more recently) vs. the british dependence on the US (which is significantly less. UK needs europe more thant he US by a long shot).

so a downturn in teh US cuold lead to export led slowdown in growth in Japan and thus a hold on interest rate increases planned by the BoJ.

while in the UK, the BoE is simply holding rates as they are right now (i.e. at a relatively high level). if the UK housing market (which is hotter than the US one was last year) collapses, then there may be an expectation of the BoE reducing rates. but as it stands, england is doing well (save northern rock obv) and i don't thinkt he market is expecting lower UK rates any times soon.

the US on the other hand has already had significant rate drops.

one explanation as to why the JPY/USD didn't rise so much is that short sales of the yen could have increased as demand for risky assets again shot up (as seen by the record setting MSCI emerging market index's 25% gain recently). so outright yen shorts (i.e. the carry trade) could be offsetting the weakness in the USD as a result of the fall in interest rates int he US relative to japan.

the UK has no such short sales since it's current rate is already at 5.75% (i think...might be 5.5 or 6.0...too lazy to check though i'm pretty sure it is at 5.75)

any other thoughts/criticisms are welcome (i.e. please comment so we can all learn more [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] )

Barron
Old 10-05-2007, 02:56 PM

Was wondering if anyone can give me some advice.. I'm in Canada, I have OSAP student loan, I should start paying my OSAP in Jan of 2009, so about a year or so from now.. I have American money.. do I exchange right now or wait until then in your opinion? Really wish I traded a few months ago [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2007, 06:11 PM

anyone here read the book your money and your brain by Jason Zweig?
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 PM

Barron, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all that. i'm trying to short the dollar as much as i can, i've have a leveraged position on gold, so i think ill end the USD/JPY short i have becuase it's not doing well despite the dollar struggling. likely for the reasons you outline.

ill look into another currency to short against the dollar, although right now i'm thinking maybe a punt at oil.

yep it is 5.75% in the uk, that's about as far as my knowledge goes lols.

thanks again, both useful and interesting.

john
Old 10-05-2007, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Barron, thanks a lot for taking the time to explain all that. i'm trying to short the dollar as much as i can, i've have a leveraged position on gold, so i think ill end the USD/JPY short i have becuase it's not doing well despite the dollar struggling. likely for the reasons you outline.

ill look into another currency to short against the dollar, although right now i'm thinking maybe a punt at oil.

yep it is 5.75% in the uk, that's about as far as my knowledge goes lols.

thanks again, both useful and interesting.

john

[/ QUOTE ]

np.

but i think you took what i said about the JPY/USD and inverted the conclusion i'd draw.

i just gave possible reasons as to why the market has behaved the way that it has.

what is more important is where we're at now and what might happen going forward.

i'd be long the JPY/USD right now. exiting a trade "b/c it isn't doing well" as a result of an explanation as to what might have happened to result in that performance i don't think is a good idea.

the yen is definitely undervalued vs. the dollar at the moment imo.

the fundamental forces have been at work for some time and have taken global risk aversion to move from the mark at which i had an 80% + signal (123.18 vs. the dollar). risk aversion forced people to close out of risky asset positions and repatriate money to japan.

the yen is still very cheap in real terms vs. the dollar (close to a 20 or 30 year low...possibly a record low but i'm not sure about that...that 123.18 mighta been a record, not sure). the Economists's (rudimentary) PPP calculation put the yen at 121 to be some 25% undervalued vs. the dollar.

now, their PPP index isn't tradeable for a ton of reasons we don't need to get into now but it shows at least some roundabout figure of how cheap the yen is relative to the dollar.

i'd hold onto that long position if i were you.

oen of the main reasons is the asymmetry of exepcted returns for that trade. if the yen falls too much more, larger economic flows will start to overwhelm the carry traders. investments in japan would become even cheaper as would their exports etc. which would increase the demand for them and thus provides a floor to how much lower the yen could fall.

on teh other side, your expected returns are far less likely to have the same relative cap put on them since it would take a much larger move in the yen for the reverse economic flows to occurr given the undervalued position it finds itself in at the moment.

hope this helps,
Barron

PS- i've noticed that your portfolio's additions lately are pretty likely to be highly correlated. you might want to watch this as it could expose you to diversifiable risks unnecessarily.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:09 PM

Thanks again Barron, I've tried to re-read it a few times to get it stored in my brain.

For once my economics degree is actually coming in handy becuase i can understand that.

I can't really comment on what you've said becuase I don't know enough, but I'm going to try and research more into this.

Regarding my portfolio, most of it is just in savings at the moment, though i'm looking into rolling bonds. i just figure with a small percentage of my worth i should be looking to take calculated risks with some long term investments, such as gold, oil and shorting the dollar.

hopefully in a few weeks ill be able to say some useful jpy/usd data and info back for your benefit. also to save you looking it up the record low was 124.09 on jun 22nd, latest is 116.83.

thanks again.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks again Barron, I've tried to re-read it a few times to get it stored in my brain.

For once my economics degree is actually coming in handy becuase i can understand that.

I can't really comment on what you've said becuase I don't know enough, but I'm going to try and research more into this.

Regarding my portfolio, most of it is just in savings at the moment, though i'm looking into rolling bonds.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok. i just made the comment b/c every time i saw you taking a new position lately it nvolved something correlated with a weak dollar.

[ QUOTE ]
i just figure with a small percentage of my worth i should be looking to take calculated risks with some long term investments, such as gold, oil and shorting the dollar.

[/ QUOTE ]

sounds good.

[ QUOTE ]

hopefully in a few weeks ill be able to say some useful jpy/usd data and info back for your benefit. also to save you looking it up the record low was 124.09 on jun 22nd, latest is 116.83.

thanks again.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, thanks (i wasn't gunna loook it up...read:lazy... but thank you [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])

and you're welcome.

Barron
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM

John Kane,

I just ordered a suit and 2 shirts from these guys

http://www.dress-for-success.com/

I picked them up today and everything was excellent. The shirts are like $30USD each and are made to measure. The made the shirts well after measuring me. The suit took a few fittings.
Old 10-06-2007, 03:27 PM

can anyone give me any good reasons why an investor who understands normal variance would ever hold cash as part of their portfolio (cash/stocks/bonds)?
Closed Thread