Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Doping (use of performance-enhancing drugs) in Poker

With all the doping scandals in other sports, this might be a good time to get the doping issue in poker out in the open.

2003 WPT Bellagio 5 Diamonds champion Paul Phillips openly admitted in Slate.com that he took Adderall (a prescription drug used to treat Attention Deficit Disorder) for the express purpose of gaining an edge on opponents.

Phillips further admitted openly that he was taking Modafinil during the 2005 WSOP, the same stimulant that disgraced former world champion sprinter Kelli White was caught taking, to gain an edge.

http://www.slate.com/id/2122188/entry/2122189/

--

We are all aware that Caffeine (a stimulant) is the most popular performance-enhancing drug among tournament poker players, ingested primarily in the form of energy drinks. The amount of caffeine present in 2-3 cans of energy drinks (equivalent to about 5 cups of coffee consumed per hour) is sufficient for a poker player to fail an WADA/IOC-administered drug test if that drug test were administered to tournament poker players.

I am certainly aware of other performance-enhancing poker drugs out there:

1. Sleeping pills, as a "downer" for players after a long day at the tournament table

2. Sudafed, a cold medicine that can be used as a stimulant and is banned by the IOC.

3. Beta Blockers, a class of medicine prescribed to treat irregular heart beats, can be used by poker players to slow down heart rates and reduce physical tells. The IOC banned beta blockers over 30 years ago because archers and shooters used the drug to gain an edge.

4. Amphetamines, or "greenies", which were widely abused as a stimulant by baseball players until MLB banned the drug (Neifi Perez of the Detroit Tigers was caught recently.)

There are probably a bunch of others.

--

The big question: how much of an edge, if any, does a poker player really gain on the rest of the field in a tournament, given that tournament poker has a huge luck factor that no one person can control?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Re: Doping (use of performance-enhancing drugs) in Poker

Adam [censored] Junglen.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:11 AM

i would say an actual edge is small, and what paul phillips did wasnt even considered taboo
Old 07-28-2007, 11:18 AM

WELL ACCORDING TO MY PERSONELL STUDIES ALCOHOL MAKES ME TAKE SHOTS AND TRY TO BLUFF PEOPLE OFF OF MADE HANDS.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:26 AM

You didnt mention cocaine. Stu Unger won 3 WSOP main events and killed high stakes cash games for years on that stuff. I wonder if he would have been able to do all that without cocaine?
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You didnt mention cocaine. Stu Unger won 3 WSOP main events and killed high stakes cash games for years on that stuff. I wonder if he would have been able to do all that without cocaine?

[/ QUOTE ]

ARE YOU SERIOUS? HAVE YOU EVER DONE COCAINE? THE ONLY WAY I CAN SEE THAT HELPING IS IF THE TOURNAMENTS RAN 24/7
Old 07-28-2007, 11:28 AM

I'd say any of the alertness or stimulant drugs would have give a decent edge on long boring tournaments. Often survival can hinge on good reads and avoiding stupid plays.

But without a physical edge it's hard to justify the testing of poker players. As a comparison, chess rarely has drug testing (even for million dollar prizes) and was declared to be not a sport by the Olympic Committee. So alertness drugs (or coke, if that's your thing) seem fine to me.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:31 AM

You're really missing out if you don't play on adderall. I steal one from my roommate before each session. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-28-2007, 11:42 AM

weed really helps
Old 07-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Location: just a skinny azzzed short stacking gossip hurling trouble maker

[X] olivert has no life