Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

View Poll Results: How many hot girls are there?
1 57 21.76%
2 90 34.35%
3 68 25.95%
4 30 11.45%
5 10 3.82%
6+ 7 2.67%
Voters: 262. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Default Re: Are there enough NYC poker players who care to...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You mentioned D'Amato before, he wouldn't be on our side if he wasn't being paid big dollars to do so; thats just so sad [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I am no fan of Al D'Amato. He was corrupt from the gitgo and I never voted for him. But I doubt very much that he is in this for the money. He is an avid poker player - who happens to be very politically connected. If anything, he misses the limelight and the power and control. As much as I detest Republican politicians I say use him! His nickname was "Senator Pothole" because of his ability to get little things done for his constituents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait till you see how much he is being paid to work for the PPA as a lobbyist, he is in it for the money all the way. The PPA can hurt his other business, this now associates him with Rick Abramoff - not something that is wise for a politician, but absolutely fine if your taking home a fat paycheck. This is not a surprise to people who have been critical of the PPA in the legislation forum, its possibly a very corrupt organization, go check out the excellent threads by BluffThis to learn more! When the PPA releases it's tax returns we will learn at that time.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:35 AM

I think what annoys me the most is that, as much as we'd like to see Vegas style gambling in NY, or maybe specifically because of it, whoever can pull it off can make more money than god. You would think that would pull in players who could pull it off, but no one seems to want to step up.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Robert Iler and other celebs did not bring down the 61st Street club or the other one (other ones?) closed last week. The fact is the police knew these clubs existed and refrained from interfering with their business until the armed robbery two weeks ago. Who do you blame for that? Of course, the scumbags who actually robbed the place. Who else? The owners? the operators? the publicity? the fact that the club was holding bigger games than the other large clubs? I really don't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I do blame the owners. They were reckless in how they ran the place and it ended up making things worse for a bunch of other people. Anyone who has been paying attention knows that certain practices are going to bring unwanted attention to the clubs, and cause disruptions to the games. That's the bottom line - players want good games, they want them to be safe and they want them to run consistently.

These people basically wanted to go a different route, cash in on publicity and do it without taking precautions that more responsible owners do on behalf of their players. Their profile was too high.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:08 AM

I blame mgmt of the 61st place for just letting anyone in and not taking care of the scene

BTW I doubt the cops knew the other places existed...

but we really should chill with this talk in public , PM if you want anymore info
Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

This is a catch-22 situation. If the clubs want to survive, they need to bring in new players (the old player also want new player, who tend to be fishier).

However, this means the clubs have to have some level of public exposure. We know what this means...
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I blame mgmt of the 61st place for just letting anyone in and not taking care of the scene

BTW I doubt the cops knew the other places existed...

[/ QUOTE ]

98.75% sure the cops knew that the raided club on 27th Street existed prior to the robbery and 125% certain they knew that the "sister" club existed months earlier.

A general discussion of this matter is fine for this board and helpful to players and prospective players. Specifics about actual, mythical or hypothetical clubs that might still exist in the city is bad.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a catch-22 situation. If the clubs want to survive, they need to bring in new players (the old player also want new player, who tend to be fishier).

However, this means the clubs have to have some level of public exposure. We know what this means...

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!
Old 06-27-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!

[/ QUOTE ]

other clubs get a LOT of players without the kind of exposure they had on 61st. games were fantastic at the midtown clubs and they kept things more under wraps.