Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Please rate my play against the double check-raise

PokerStars 10/20 Hold'em (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls, MP calls.

Flop: (13.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP 3-bets</font>, Hero folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (9.25 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks.

River: (9.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, MP checks.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB

UTG was fairly new but seemed to be a good player. I would have called him down, as players like him typically check-raise me there, but the MP check-raised the check-raise which scared me off. However MP is an absolute lunatic, 60/40 making ridiculous bets, check-raises, and call downs. Was I being too timid here?
Old 06-01-2007, 07:46 PM

Default Re: Please rate my play against the double check-raise

If MP was a lunatic I'd cap the flop and be prepared to ditch if UTG called. I'm seeing a showdown vs one but not two and I think the parlay is ok here since UTG should be c/r'ing a fair # of hands still on this flop that you do ok against.

Rob
Old 06-01-2007, 07:57 PM

You should probably have cut the action off on your flop descision; obviously given the turn and river action you should have capped. If this guy really is a lunatic, I think capping is probably good. On the other hand, just calling might be OK too, because then you get to see if UTG caps or not. If he caps, he has an overpair, if he doesn't then he was trying to get AK headsup.

I would fold preflop if MP isn't a lunatic.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 PM

My strong initial instinct was "fold" just because the board is so dry and you're really only ahead of 88/77 as far as UTG's made hands go (*maybe* 55- if he's raising those baby pairs), but now I'm looking at the pot odds and thinking that Entity is right. Hopefully you'll hit a 9 and make things easy on yourself. Enjoy the variance!
Old 06-01-2007, 08:10 PM

You are getting really good odds, but the board is so dry...

If you call, and the turn is NOT checked through, what is the plan?

put two clubs up and the call becomes much easier but as it is the fold is ok i think.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:26 PM

It is a tough spot multi-way, but I think Entity is right. The pot is too big and there is a maniac on board so taking 1 more shot to clarify things is a good idea.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:41 PM

Thanks for the replies. If you couldn't tell by the post, my 99 would have held up against UTG's 88 and MP's KQo.

Thanks again for the advice! Link a hand of your own if you want my opinion.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
. . . but the MP check-raised the check-raise which scared me off. However MP is an absolute lunatic, 60/40 making ridiculous bets, check-raises, and call downs. Was I being too timid here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it's just because the fact that you posted this suggests you would have won the hand (not to mention the turn and river action), but as soon as you described MP I figured he must have done his flop foolishness with overcards. UTG's flop cr doesn't sound like AA or KK to me, seems like he's trying to protect something against overs, so his 88 makes sense -- though so would JTs or even JJ. But because all those underpockets make sense too, I think you have to think you're at least 50-50 against UTG.

Given your read on MP I think that a flop call getting A Bunch: 1 made the most sense, see whether the turn brings an A or a K, fold if it does (though if an A had fell, you would indeed still have been folding the best hand).

But maybe that's just my seeing the results . . . I have a hunch that MP bets out here with AT, though.