Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2007, 07:03 PM

Default Re: A play I usually don\'t make!!!

[ QUOTE ]
dude if this is a 4/180 there are way better spots to get your money in then this.

[/ QUOTE ]
thank u
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no math to back up what i am saying as i dont know how to calculate it...my bottom line is u are 40/60 headsup with raiser and worse if UTG1 calls even if it is Q5s hes still favorite over u to win..and being a 4$/180 i would not want to let UTG1 have a chance to think he can knock 2 ppl out with q4...he just mite try

[/ QUOTE ]

Please learn what EV is. If you know your opponent (short stack) has exactly AA (he accidentally flipped his cards over) and you have 32o in the BB and the pot is offering you 10:1 odds from the BB, do you call?

YES. you are about 7.3:1 dog, but still +EV. Now I'm using an extreme example for this purpose, but it will do.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Please learn what EV is. If you know your opponent (short stack) has exactly AA (he accidentally flipped his cards over) and you have 32o in the BB and the pot is offering you 10:1 odds from the BB, do you call?

YES. you are about 7.3:1 dog, but still +EV. Now I'm using an extreme example for this purpose, but it will do.

[/ QUOTE ]

if u are playing for your tournment life u dont call
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

if u are playing for your tournment life u dont call

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Dude...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:07 PM

its +EV yes...but comeon man why would u call with tournament life just bcause u are getting 10:1 on money? this is ridiculous
Old 02-18-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
its +EV yes...but comeon man why would u call with tournament life just bcause u are getting 10:1 on money? this is ridiculous

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...
Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 PM

okay rockin maybe this worked for you - if your reads are as spot on as you seem to think maybe its marginally +EV. The problem is if you take this opportunity you might be burning chips that could be used for stronger +EV situations later.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
okay rockin maybe this worked for you - if your reads are as spot on as you seem to think maybe its marginally +EV. The problem is if you take this opportunity you might be burning chips that could be used for stronger +EV situations later.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, this was definitely questionable, but being as how I am usually about 15/10 or so (sometimes higher) VPIP/PFR and this tourny I was at 9/2 due to the action, I started even more so looking for +EV edges and doing quick math at the table it seemed a little more +EV than it actually was. Definitely questionable.
Old 02-18-2007, 07:22 PM

Results in white below:

<font color="white"> utg+1 &amp; CO folded. T9s vs AKo. River a 9 to beat AK. </font>
Old 02-18-2007, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh...

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...

love some "tournament life"

As for the hand I do similar sorts of things from time to time- usually as you described, been card dead trying to take a 60/40 with overlay. But as you've come to already this is likely too thin, more specifically all of your reads have to be on for it to be +ev.

Always love the reaction from AK though when you're right and what did happen does. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]