Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: What Movies Have You Watched Recently?

[ QUOTE ]
how is match point?

[/ QUOTE ]

A funny thing I've noticed about MATCH POINT is that fans of Woody Allen tend to be lukewarm about it while those who aren't fans tend to think highly of it. I'm in the first category.

Like almost all of Allen's films it is shot very well, and there are some strong performances (Scarlett Johansson's being particularly memorable). On the other side of the coin, the movie was poorly paced and the dialogue frequently felt forced, almost to the point of becoming unintentionally funny.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:27 AM

hmm, scarjo was pretty weak in the other woody flick she was in.
Old 02-18-2007, 12:57 AM

Best film I ve seen recently:
Pan`s Labyrinth: beautifull, dramatic, brutal. Genius in so many levels. I could not but cry at the end..

The worst: The Sentinel.
Full of indifferent characters, lousy plot, cameraman sucked bigtime, I could go on forever. And if you d like to watch it for Eva Longoria, dont bother. No romance and barely a few lines.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is match point?

[/ QUOTE ]

rothko,

i reviewed it back in the day
Old 02-18-2007, 01:34 AM

Cocaine Cowboys (2006): Directed by: Billy Corbin. Excellent documentary on cocaine smuggling in South Florida during the early '80s. Billed as the true story behind SCARFACE and MIAMI VICE, this micro-budgeted documentary manages to be more entertaining than its fictionalized predecessors. The movie has two distinct halves. The first and better half is anchored around interviews with Jon Roberts and Mickey Munday, two charismatic mega-smugglers for the Medellin Cartel. The interviews show not only the personal stories of these two men, but also document the intricate methods of smuggling and enormous economic impact of the drug trade. The second half tells the story of the "cocaine cowboys," the hyper-violent gangsters and enforcers who made Miami the most dangerous city on Earth at the time. There's a cool synthesized score by Jan Hammer, but don't bother with the annoying DVD commentary from director Corbin. Definitely worth checking out.

Don't Look in The Basement (1973): Directed by: S.F. Brownrigg. Decent exploitation/horror movie would have been a classic in the hands of more capable filmmakers. Playboy Playmate Rosie Holotik stars as Charlotte Beale, a nurse who begins working at a secluded insane asylum shortly after the head doctor is accidentally killed by one of his patients. The clever script has some good twists and turns, and the final sequence is chilling. Unfortunately, not much else is executed well. The overacting by the cast of no-names is too much to be believable, but not quite enough to be funny. What really sinks the film, however, is the awful editing. This is the sort of movie where if a character wants to talk to someone in a different room, you see them walk up the stairs, walk all the way down a long hall, knock on the door, wait for the door to open, and then start the conversation. At least 10 minutes of the film could have been chopped off without anybody at the drive-in noticing. There's less gore here than what you'd typically find in an exploitation movies, but there's still plenty of sleaze thanks to a nymphomaniac asylum patient who is perpetually exposing her breasts. While not terrible, this is far from one of the best exploitation movies of the '70s.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:45 AM

thanks pryor, will have to watch it first: zomg spoilers!
Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 AM

anybody else seen this lately?

Old 02-18-2007, 02:20 AM

Kevin Smith: Evening Harder - I think I am becoming a bigger fan of his Q&A DVDs than I am of his actual films.

Being There - Grade A satire. Peter Sellers is amazing as a man with zero intelligence that climbs the political ranks in Washington.

Farce of the Penguins - It was like a bunch of really funny people got into a room with some stock penguin footage and intentionally tried to be less funny than the person before them. I had to go back and rewatch The Aristocrats just to remind myself why I thought most of them were funny in the first place.

Hollywoodland - Pretty good noir movie with some very solid acting by one half of Benifer. Old Hollywood was a fascinating place.

The Black Dahlia - It takes a lot of talent to make a mess this big. Beautiful imagery tries to distract you from the trainwreck going on.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being There - Grade A satire. Peter Sellers is amazing as a man with zero intelligence that climbs the political ranks in Washington.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's a documentary?
Old 02-18-2007, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Kevin Smith: Evening Harder - I think I am becoming a bigger fan of his Q&A DVDs than I am of his actual films.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh wow. I didn't even know that there was a second one made. Is it as good as the first one?
Closed Thread