Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 06:51 PM

Default Fending off a flush draw with only overcards

This is the first hand I'm posting; I hope it's correct.

Villain seems to be bluffing a lot. He's shown a few hands where he made large-size bets, and had absolutely nothing. He's rather aggressive at times, but I'd been stealing from him a lot.

When the flop came, I sort of had a feeling he was on a flush draw and figured a 600 chip bet might cause him to fold. I think the biggest mistake I made here was not betting on the turn, but after seeing what he had, I don't know how much of a difference this would've made.

I'm not sure what I was thinking when I called on the river. Sometimes I get too excited when I make TPTK. Looking back on it, calling a 3600 chip bet here was not a good move.

I'll post what the villain had after a few people comment.

Full Tilt Poker
No Limit Holdem Tournament
Blinds: t150/t300
2 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
Hero: t5705
BB: t7795

Pre-flop: (2 players) Hero is SB with K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to t600</font>, BB calls t300 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t750)</font>.

Flop: 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (t1200, 2 players)
BB checks, <font color="#cc0000">Hero bets t600</font>, <font color="#cc0000">BB raises to t1200</font>, Hero calls t600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t3000)</font>.

Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (t3600, 2 players)
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (t3600, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">BB bets t3600</font>, Hero calls t3600 <font color="aaaaaa">(pot was t7200)</font>.

Results:
Final pot: t10800
Old 01-17-2007, 12:26 AM

Default Re: Fending off a flush draw with only overcards

This is headsup. I like a push or a fold to his flop raise. Definitely bet the turn. You gave him a free card when he was out of position.