Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 09:33 PM

Default Re: Dealing with making great hands after you\'ve folded

Several things will help:

1. Realize that sooner or later you will get a chance to see free flops with garbage hands from the BB. Let your turn in the unraised BB be your chance to have that kind of fun.

2. Recognize that a freakish run of monster flops on folded hands can and does put players on tilt. The same is happening to other players at the table and you can capitalize on them.

3. Get it out of your system...but do it cheaply and wisely. In many games moments will arise when it isn't improper to make a move with any two cards...usually limping into a large unraised pot or occasionaly raising a weak entry ahead of you for a steal. Devoting a very small portion of your stack to thoughtful "gamble" will save you from tempting but foolish gambles later. Just pick your spots carefully where the pot odds and/or folding equity gives you a chance. Ignore the above if you aren't confident in your post flop abilities relative to the other players in the pot. Lots of players use A-small suited or small gapped suited connectors for these purposes.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 PM

I deal with it by not being retarded.

I'm not going to think that I should have folded AA preflop if I end up losing a pot with it, so why would I give any thought every time some horrible hand would have wound up winning?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:24 AM

If I play 1 table I go on tilt so much quicker in a million ways this being one of them. If I play 8-12 tables I have so much to consider that crap like this is completely irrelavent, however u spell that word lol. Point is get ur mind off of that bull [censored] and keep it on the parts of ur game that matters.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:49 AM

All you have to do is think of Scott Lazar. Remember Scott Lazar? He was in the final 6 of the 2005 Main Event with a pretty good sized chip stack. On some hand he folded an A-rag, I think to a raise, but I'm not sure. It was pretty marginal. I don't remember the situation, but I'm pretty sure a lot of people (maybe most) would have folded it too. Well, lo and behold, the flop comes 2 aces. Then another ace comes. The other players involved actually had medium pocket pairs, so they made full houses, while Scott would have made quads. It tilted him so much that he played like a donk, completely different from the style that got him there, for the next 3 or 4 hands until he was out.

Scott was a moron. He most likely costed himself millions of dollars because he was a moron. Of all the reasons to tilt, to tilt because you would have made a good hand if you'd played it, that's just so stupid. If you fold 27 are you going to flip out when the flop comes 227? That's retarded. Don't be a retard [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-12-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In a CardRunners video by Green Plastic or Muddywater (can't remember which) they touch on this topic.

He folded a garbage hand preflop. The flop came out and he made a fullhouse. He laughed and then reiterated basically what everyone is telling you here.

However, he went on to say that UltimateBet's algorithm for determining what cards come on the flop is partly based on how many players see the flop. So, had he stayed in the hand and played his garbage the flop would have been entirely different.

I always keep this in mind since I play on UB as well. I'm not sure if any other sites operate in a similar manner but it may comfort you if you play on UB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was actually going to suggest this as my method for avoiding fold anxiety. I simply tell myself that the RNG would not have produced xyz cards had I played the hand.