Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > About the Forums
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-2006, 06:12 PM

Default What about a compact, efficient \"Quick Index\"?

With 55+ forums the "Main Index" is so long it's almost worthless if you want a one source entry to get quick access to the various forums. The green bar to the left is also extremely hard to navigate.

It would be great if there was one page that would have links to all the forums minus descriptions. Such a page would fit without scrolling on the typical computer screen. Keep the Main Index as it is as well as the green bar on the left.

I assume such a "Quick Index" would be a link in itself on the green bar or even in the Main Index (i.e., I assume the Main Index is part of the general BBS software). It seems (I'm no HTML expert) it would be easy to do.

BTW, I use Firefox and use the Bookmarks Toolbar (equivalent to "Links" in MS IE). I have quick links to my favorite dozen or so forums there but no room for 55 plus forums! If implemented the "Quick Index" would become one of my links there.

Just shoot me if something like this has already been requested before. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

~ Rick
Old 12-16-2006, 06:19 PM

Default Re: What about a compact, efficient \"Quick Index\"?

Check out the bottom right corner of the screen... "Jump to" box [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

You can also select a bunch of forums as favorites... and then just view the list of favorite forums.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check out the bottom right corner of the screen... "Jump to" box [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, never used that. I'll work with it but it would still be nice to have a big one page presentation of links with no excess clutter.

I'm old and my vision isn't too good. Maybe I should be shot.

[ QUOTE ]
You can also select a bunch of forums as favorites... and then just view the list of favorite forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do you select forums as favorites?

Also, one problem with the Jump box is that in long threads you need to do a lot of scrolling to get to it. But I'll try it.

Thanks,

Rick
Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM

I did this a while back to give an example of a different menu structure, how's that?
Old 12-16-2006, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you select forums as favorites?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you are viewing a list of topics within a forum... look to the bottom left, you will see a "Favorite Forum (toggle)"

When viewing the Main Index, you will see the "Show Favorites" in roughly the same spot.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, one problem with the Jump box is that in long threads you need to do a lot of scrolling to get to it. But I'll try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hit the END key to get to the bottom... HOME to get to the top... of any page [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2006, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit the END key to get to the bottom... HOME to get to the top... of any page [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. This might sound strange but I've never used the HOME and END key before; perhaps I thought they were left over from the DOS days. It's weird, there are many simple computer things I've never done. At the same time I come up with HD partitioning schemes like this that have been bulletproof in terms of protecting my data. Next computer will have an improved version.

Reason may be although I have more than my share of friends and some real close friends, I'm never done any "side by side" computing with them. My closest friends and and family are more or less Luddites. I guess what I'm trying to say is that at age 52, I've never had the sort of "dorm" experience on the Internet I suppose many young posters here have. By dorm experience I'm saying when people are closely packed in and they can look over someone else's shoulder while they are screwing around (on the computer [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). You learn a lot that way. You could also get this experience in an office; but I haven't worked in one since the DOS days.

Anyway, my isolation/problems seem minor compared to that Brandi/Tom Franklin thread on NV&G. Better get back to it!

- Rick
Old 12-16-2006, 07:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did this a while back to give an example of a different menu structure, how's that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, something that looks like that with all the forums organized and spread out over the page with big fonts and so you can see it well.

~ Rick
Old 12-17-2006, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

DB... have you taken a look at Greasemonkey?
Old 12-17-2006, 11:48 AM

If there are only a few forums that you visit frequently, you could bookmark those in your web browser and then use your bookmarks list instead of the sidebar for access.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If there are only a few forums that you visit frequently, you could bookmark those in your web browser and then use your bookmarks list instead of the sidebar for access.

[/ QUOTE ]

I already do that as mentioned elsewhere in this post; that's good for about a dozen forums (the remaining 25 or so spots in the Firefox Bookmarks Toolbar are taken up with non 2+2 sites I often visit). I'd like to have faster access to the remaining 45 or so 2+2 sites in order to be able to be able to do quick skims now and then.

So....I'll probably take my first itsy bitsy tiny step into HTML coding and see if I can write a page of links in MS Word or something simple (hmm, in MS Work I'd have to learn columns). I think I already have a web page on Earthlink I've never visited; if I get something workable that should be able to host it. If that looks OK I'll post the link here. But it won't be until after the Holidays.

BTW, I already have a Link to the Main Index right in front of me on Firefox, the problem for me once again is all the scrolling you need to do to find your links. I hate scrolling.

Small problem I know, but my guess is such a quick link page would encourage people
to occasionally scan other forums. Right now the other forums our out of site, out of mind.

~ Rick

PS This overly long post about such a small thing is me thinking out loud (I type fast), and maybe writing this down will shame me into doing what I wrote and learning a little about HTML and web hosting.

But it would also be OK if someone else did it and post the links in various places on the forum for all 80,000 2+2 members to use.