Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2006, 02:49 AM

Default Re: Why we love MGM on weekends

[ QUOTE ]
Another 1/2 game at MGM. Guy is HU with a drunk and asks for a chip count. Drunk guy fiddles with his one and a half stacks of red for a minute or so, carefully stacking and restacking in random increments. Finally, “Umm…uh, a thousand…?” The guy just sat there not knowing what to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have just had a prick of a day at work - I will now go home a very happy man. Thank you sir
Old 05-22-2006, 07:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be immediately obvious when you're sitting with someone who doesn't know what a big blind is?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the people who play 2/4 3/6 4/8 1/2NL in vegas don't know when to post, how much to post, why to post etc. but they've played poker before and have some idea of how to play.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's hard to distinguish an Internet player who knows how to play but has never handled chips from a total newbie. And it's hard to distinguish a drunk who knows how to play but is too drunk to see chip colors or card values from a total newbie. And it's be hard to distinguish a random good ol' Kansas boy who's played Follow the Queen back home with the yokels from a total n00b. People just tend to be cautious until they actually see a hand or two when someone is slinging $30 into a $15 pot. The revelation for our table was pretty quick, but the guy took down a couple pots with oversize bets before we finally got to see his cards. I think it was when he flipped over 86, having called on the river with a board of like AQJ32 that the salivating began in ernest as it finally dawned on people that he was truly playing nearly randomly.
Old 05-22-2006, 09:38 AM

OP,

you suck at poker. You have to keep the guy believing that he is playing with $.05 chips, get to be his best friend, then drain him dry. Keeping the fish on the hook is a lost art nowadays.

I had a Japanese couple on my hook at the MGM last year. They had no idea what they were doing. I got them to stay for 4 hours and rebuy 5 times each just by pretending to be their poker buddy. I and a couple others at my table made a boatload that night.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

you suck at poker. You have to keep the guy believing that he is playing with $.05 chips, get to be his best friend, then drain him dry. Keeping the fish on the hook is a lost art nowadays.

I had a Japanese couple on my hook at the MGM last year. They had no idea what they were doing. I got them to stay for 4 hours and rebuy 5 times each just by pretending to be their poker buddy. I and a couple others at my table made a boatload that night.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is why I don't like telling people I play poker. I felt dirty realizing how like him I am. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2006, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OP,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I do suck at your style of poker. And I suck at purse-snatching from 80 year old women. And I suck at rolling unconscious drunks on the sidewalk. I can live with that.

I was pretty pissed at the behaviour of a couple people at the table. In one case, after a big bet by the drunk that went uncalled someone at the table asks the drunk to show his cards. He shakes his head. Then someone else says "you have to show them--it's a rule!" Ummmm, dude... no. Just NO. You have to resort to that to beat this guy? But before the dealer could say "boo" the poor drunk flips his two cards over and displays his usual random two cards for a J-high, or some such. It was probably at that point I started seriously rooting for my drunk fellow Kansan--at least he hadn't displayed a total lack of class.

And yeah, when he said he wanted to leave but looked hopelessly befuddled as to how to do that with 5 stacks of chips, I told him about racks instead of telling him he had to stay until he had few enough chips he could carry them all. I so suck at poker.
Old 05-22-2006, 11:33 AM

this was a multiple lol thread
Old 05-22-2006, 01:08 PM

I feel like the same drunk lost soul when I try to play Pow Gai. People shout at me in a foreign language and then take my money. And that's without the benefits al Al Cohol. LOL.

Rolling pleasant drunks at poker - not sporting. Rolling A*hole drunks = EV+. LOL.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:22 PM

OP should have offered to cash the drunk out for all his 5 cent chips.