Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2006, 09:44 PM

Default Why we love MGM on weekends

It's about 3am at MGM and a very, very drunk fellow from Wichita sits beside me. He buys in for $100, and clearly has no clue what he's doing. He just kinda does what the dealer tells him, putting in blinds, folding or betting randomly when the dealer tells him to do something. He's already played and won a couple hands without a showdown when he holds up a red chip and asks me "how much are these worth?" "Five," says I, "and the blues are one." "ooookay".

We play on and pretty soon the table catches on that this is no poker rocket scientist (not hard to figure out when he calls a $20 bet on the river holding eight high). So eventually this guy ends up all-in, his A4o vs someone's 99, and an ace hits. So he's got like a bit under $200 when comes the hand... It's a three-way all-in, and the drunk's KQs flops a straight and turns a flush and sends the other two packing.

So the drunk is raking in like $500 and he again holds a red chip up and says to me "so you said this is five cents, right?" "No, that's five dollars". His eyes get big. "Are you XXXXing me?" "No, that's five dollars". And he starts babbling "oh geez, oh crap, oh man...I have to get out of here--DOLLARS??? Oh god.".

As he's leaving he says "you won't believe this, but I'll let you in on my secret--this is the first time I've ever played this game."
Old 05-21-2006, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Why we love MGM on weekends

[ QUOTE ]

So the drunk is raking in like $500 and he again holds a red chip up and says to me "so you said this is five cents, right?" "No, that's five dollars". His eyes get big. "Are you XXXXing me?" "No, that's five dollars". And he starts babbling "oh geez, oh crap, oh man...I have to get out of here--DOLLARS??? Oh god.".

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a bit hard to believe the guy bought in for $100 but thought he was playing with less than twenty $0.05 chips.

Then again, people get very drunk in Las Vegas.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:00 AM

how is this great?

you didn't get a chance to take his red chips
Old 05-22-2006, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It's a bit hard to believe the guy bought in for $100 but thought he was playing with less than twenty $0.05 chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I would have thought it a joke if I hadn't been there. I doubt the guy had any memory of having bought in at all. He even failed a field sobriety test at the table when he reached for a stack of chips and his hand went 2" to the right...he seemed very puzzled when there were no chips between his fingers, but he carefully retracted his hand, and concentrating hard now, successfully managed to get his fingers around a dozen chips. People at the table were falling out of their chairs laughing at him, but in the end he had the last and best laugh as he walked away with about $400 in profit.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this great?

you didn't get a chance to take his red chips

[/ QUOTE ]

Now and then it's good to see the underdog triumph. Soon as the guy realized what he was actually playing for, despite being totally crapfaced he had the smarts to pull the plug and get out of Dodge.

It's kinda fun what one guy like this does to the psychology of a table. The players were falling all over themselves trying to get a crack at the drunk. And often ended up hugely invested in crappy cards playing heads-up with each other as the drunk cleverly folded to their raises. About every 4th hand we were having $100 pots awarded on K-high vs J-high without the drunk being in there. I was more salivating hoping I'd catch something to be able to stack one of the players with $400+ on the table as they played mediocre cards way too hard as they aimed for the drunk.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how is this great?

you didn't get a chance to take his $.05 chips

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-22-2006, 12:30 AM

I was playing at MGM a while ago when these two middle eastern dudes sat down at the table ($3/$6). One guy could speak some english and the other just looked at his friend when it seemed like people were talking to him.

So the first few times it was his turn to act the dealer would say "You can Call $3, raise to $6 or fold" and he would think for a second and just say "CALL" or "RAISE" "FOLD".

After a while it became obvious that he didn't know how to play and would just pick one of the options call/raise/fold when it was his turn. He would call the flop raise the turn call the river and show his 6 high and then just shrug as if to say "I guess I did not win for some reason, I shall try again".
Old 05-22-2006, 12:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was playing at MGM a while ago when these two middle eastern dudes sat down at the table ($3/$6). One guy could speak some english and the other just looked at his friend when it seemed like people were talking to him.

So the first few times it was his turn to act the dealer would say "You can Call $3, raise to $6 or fold" and he would think for a second and just say "CALL" or "RAISE" "FOLD".

After a while it became obvious that he didn't know how to play

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
It's about 3am at MGM and a very, very drunk fellow from Wichita sits beside me. He buys in for $100, and clearly has no clue what he's doing. He just kinda does what the dealer tells him, putting in blinds, folding or betting randomly when the dealer tells him to do something. He's already played and won a couple hands without a showdown when he holds up a red chip and asks me "how much are these worth?" "Five," says I, "and the blues are one." "ooookay".

We play on and pretty soon the table catches on that this is no poker rocket scientist

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be immediately obvious when you're sitting with someone who doesn't know what a big blind is?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't it be immediately obvious when you're sitting with someone who doesn't know what a big blind is?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of the people who play 2/4 3/6 4/8 1/2NL in vegas don't know when to post, how much to post, why to post etc. but they've played poker before and have some idea of how to play.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:36 AM

Another 1/2 game at MGM. Guy is HU with a drunk and asks for a chip count. Drunk guy fiddles with his one and a half stacks of red for a minute or so, carefully stacking and restacking in random increments. Finally, “Umm…uh, a thousand…?” The guy just sat there not knowing what to say.