Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review

Old 11-21-2007, 03:32 PM

Default Re: PETA documentary last night

I wouldn't pay x more for my meat to ensure the animal wasn't tortured because, to my knowledge, current standard butchering practices are already up to my standards for quick and humane. It's not like slaughterhouses want to spend an hour torturing a cow before they kill it. That's not only sadistic, it's not cost effective. It's much cheaper to kill the animal as quickly and painlessly as possible. Now, I can't necessarily speak for the living conditions of animals at some factory farms, but that's the only place where I might have some objections, and many farmers care for their animals in a perfectly respectable manner. The PETA folk will show you horrific images and tell you all kinds of tales, both of which are often extremely isolated, exaggerated, staged, or outright false. I don't support the outright torture of animals, but it's not the standard for today's farming. If it was, I'd consider paying more for happy meat, but I'm not going to bother to pay more for a little extra insurance that the animals were treated just the same as the cheaper meat.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:33 PM

A) I save my dog over a stranger. I believe. My point was that I can't know for sure. But I do care more about my dog than a human I don't know. And my cats too.

B) I will say penis whenever I want.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:41 PM

I'm watching this right now and my initial thoughts are that this woman means well obviously, but she seems pretty insane. She alternates between being very nice and likable and then she will turn into a conniving villain. They treat their organization like it's a rogue force with their undercover employees and hidden cameras, which I guess are necessary for their agenda.

I think if PETA would scale it down a little bit, and just try to eradicate the cruelty to animals (which 99.9% of the world would support) they would be wildly successful. Instead they do crazy things that destroy their public image, and when this happens their normal agendas lose public support. They definitely spend too much time on the less important aspects of animal treatment, when they could do much more to help the general well being of animals everywhere.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM

Some friends of mine and I were playing the penis game back when I was in college. No, not that penis game, the one where you progressively say "penis!" louder than the next person, and the person who says it loudest wins. Unfortunately, the novelty of the game had somewhat worn off. Not because we thought we were too mature for the game or that saying "penis" had lost it's appeal, it's that the game had become too easy. Too many people knew you were playing the penis game when they heard a group yelling out penis, and no one was really afraid to just yell "PENIS!" at the top of their lungs. It was just a game of who had the loudest voice. So, we decided to modify the game: same rules, but different thing to yell. We tried a few, but the ultimate winner was "No, YOU gave ME herpes!" That one was much more a test of bravery and your ability to just be ever so slightly louder than the previous person. We never got past 3 or 4 rounds.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A) I save my dog over a stranger. I believe. My point was that I can't know for sure. But I do care more about my dog than a human I don't know. And my cats too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a given in daily life. I was thinking a few days ago about what will make me more sad, when one of my dogs dies or a relative I see once a year.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The head of PETA sounds insane.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because she IS likely insane, delusional and just downright annoying.

The best news here is that she sterilized herself!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is a given in daily life. I was thinking a few days ago about what will make me more sad, when one of my dogs dies or a relative I see once a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over the last month, I've lost a dog, and a seldom seen great aunt. The dog was heart-breaking, the aunt, not so much.
Old 11-21-2007, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 100% sure I will be far more upset when my aging wiener dog dies than when most of my relatives dies. I had a dog die in my arms on the way into the vets office a bunch of years ago and I wasn't right for a long time after that. I still think about that dog and miss him. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2007, 04:16 PM

There is this great show called Penn & Tellers Bull S***.

They did a show on PETA its only 30 minutes long and kept me interested the whole way through. Ummmm I could talk about it more, but just trust me that if youre interested in the PETA subject give this a watch.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1308684e...765&rank=0
Old 11-21-2007, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am 100% sure I will be far more upset when my aging wiener dog dies than when most of my relatives dies. I had a dog die in my arms on the way into the vets office a bunch of years ago and I wasn't right for a long time after that. I still think about that dog and miss him. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I still feel bad thinking about one of our dogs that died when I was a kid. I get really attached to my animals. That's why I don't have one now. I spend too much time in the office to give a pet enough attention. But I'd really love one!