Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-03-2007, 10:01 PM

Default Re: What are the best poker history book(s)/site(s)?

Thanks for the responses! The wikipedia article, links, and Chuck's site were all helpful.

Matt
Old 11-03-2007, 11:47 PM

It's a funny thing about poker books -- they all seem to regurgitate the same old half a dozen stories about Titanic Thompson, Puggy Pearson, Johnny Moss, etc. etc. Surely with such a rich legacy, these guys must have more than the same bunch of stories?

Des Wilson has a new history of poker out, Ghosts at the Poker Table, but I haven't had a look at it yet, so I can't vouch for it. However, one book that is worth a gander is Herbert (Gangs of New York) Asbury's book, Suckers Progress: An informal history of gambling in America. Because it's an old book, it at least has the advantage of not rolling out the same six stories about Titanic Thompson, Puggy Pearson, Johnny Moss, Amarillo Slim, etc. etc. etc. I think all of those stories originate in Jon Bradshaw and Nik Cohn's Fast Company: How six master gamblers defy the odds and always win which is well worth a read -- but you'll know all the stories already.
Old 11-04-2007, 12:09 AM

stories like when someone got shot in the head and they kept on playing.... wasn't that a doyle story, or just my poor recollection
Old 11-13-2007, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not specifically about poker, but for background you should read David Parlett's A History of Card Games.

Long-time 2+2 poster Al Mirpuri has done original research in this area; maybe he'll drop by with some more specific suggestions. You might try PMing him. He hangs out in the Stud and Other Games forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is very kind of you to mention me Phat Mack. I would direct Matt to David Parlett's website where an article length exposition of the history of poker appears.

If Matt is to write a history of poker that is worthy of the effort and does not just retread the old conjectures about the origins of the game and retell the same tired anecdotes then he will have to read lots of obscure texts that in poker strategy terms are worthless but throw light upon the development of the game.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Matt is to write a history of poker that is worthy of the effort ...

[/ QUOTE ]

zero chance of that. closest thing i might do on a whim is write the stories i've heard around the tables in North Carolina. Hollywood couldn't invent some of 'em. but that's unlikely too.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:42 PM

John Scarne's books are worth a read
Old 11-14-2007, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
stories like when someone got shot in the head and they kept on playing.... wasn't that a doyle story, or just my poor recollection

[/ QUOTE ]

Shot through the head, and you're to blame. You give poker a bad name. [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-18-2007, 08:18 PM

It might be interesting to show how poker influenced the development of Game Theory.

Father of Game Theory

[ QUOTE ]
In 1921, Emile Borel, a French mathematician, published several papers on the theory of games. He used poker as an example and addressed the problem of bluffing and second-guessing the opponent in a game of imperfect information. Borel envisioned game theory as being used in economic and military applications. Borel's ultimate goal was to determine whether a "best" strategy for a given game exists and to find that strategy. While Borel could be arguably called as the first mathematician to envision an organized system for playing games, he did not develop his ideas very far. For that reason, most historians give the credit for developing and popularizing game theory to John Von Neumann, who published his first paper on game theory in 1928, seven years after Borel.

[/ QUOTE ]

and

[ QUOTE ]
For Von Neumann, the inspiration for game theory was poker, a game he played occasionally and not terribly well. Von Neumann realized that poker was not guided by probability theory alone, as an unfortunate player who would use only probability theory would find out. Von Neumann wanted to formalize the idea of "bluffing," a strategy that is meant to deceive the other players and hide information from them.

In his 1928 article, "Theory of Parlor Games," Von Neumann first approached the discussion of game theory, and proved the famous Minimax theorem. From the outset, Von Neumann knew that game theory would prove invaluable to economists. He teamed up with Oskar Morgenstern, an Austrian economist at Princeton, to develop his theory.

Their book, Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, revolutionized the field of economics. Although the work itself was intended solely for economists, its applications to psychology, sociology, politics, warfare, recreational games, and many other fields soon became apparent.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just one website, but there are more detailed books that might have more detailed information.