Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Limit-->NL

Old 10-22-2007, 05:03 AM

Default AJo UTG

Same villain as previous hand but a couple of hands earlier, a bit on the loose side, aggressive, but folds to aggression postflop.

PokerStars $0.05/$0.10 No-Limit Hold'em - 9 players
Hand Converter Tool from DeucesCracked.com

CO: $6.80
Button: $2.15
SB: $32.55
BB: $10.00
UTG: $6.20
UTG+1: $8.25
UTG+2: $12.40
MP1: $12.20
MP2: $1.70

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
<font color="#FF0000">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, CO folds, Button folds, SB calls $0.35, BB folds.

Flop: ($0.90) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#FF0000">Hero bets $0.60</font>, <font color="#FF0000">SB raises to $1.80</font>, Hero calls $1.20.

Against this opponent and with top pair I did not want to let off yet. The villain is totally capable of showing any PP on the river.

Turn: ($4.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

I wanted to control the pot and avoid being c/r'ed.

River: ($4.50) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#FF0000">SB bets $0.50</font>, Hero ?

Opinions? What to think of villains small bet in the end?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 AM

Default Re: AJo UTG

I don't think there is much value in raising so I'd just call.

Also, you've only got $6.20, get that reloaded up to $10 so you can make the most of your good hands. When you play short your implied odds are really cut which makes drawy hands much less valuable.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:59 AM

9-handed I fold AJo preflop UTG.

The flop hits you in just about the best way you can hope for (OK, JJJ is better but not realistic). Your SPR is 7.5, so I think you can basically commit with TPTK.
I am 3-betting the flop all-in.

As played, it looks like villain is either on a total bluff or trying to get some tiny value out of a king, or hoping to entice you into a raise. I just call.
Old 10-22-2007, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given his read&amp;stacksizes isn't calling and shoving over his turn bet/bet turn when checked to better?
Old 10-22-2007, 01:58 PM

At full ring I'm folding AJo UTG atleast 95% of the time.

River is a very easy call.

Normally I'd fold on the flop to villian checkraise but apparently you have a read saying that would be poor.

I like the turn check.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

given his read&amp;stacksizes isn't calling and shoving over his turn bet/bet turn when checked to better?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given hero's read on villian it seems that if you want to commit with the hand the best way to get the money in would be to play passively and let villian do the betting.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At full ring I'm folding AJo UTG atleast 95% of the time.

River is a very easy call.

Normally I'd fold on the flop to villian checkraise but apparently you have a read saying that would be poor.

I like the turn check.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not opposed to folding this hand preflop i guess but i prefer how hero played it.

My main question is:
Why would you fold to villian's checkraise on the flop?

What hand do you put him on here that beats you?
Villian's hands that beat you are:
JJ,55,22,J5,J2,52,AA,KK,QQ.

The only draw out there really is 34.

This is micro-limits remember.

I think JJ-AA is not likely here. Most of the times you would have been reraised preflop. 2 Pair hands do not really fit that flop for calling a preflop raise. 22 and 55 are really the only monsters i would fear here.

Most of the time the villian has something like JX here where X could be almost anything from an 8-A and thinks you missed on the flop with AK or AQ.

Notice when you call the flop he checks the K on the turn, so unless he has KJ here and is trying for a second check raise this fits in with the above scenario.

I think his riverbet is a scared riverbet with a J of some sort. He is trying to take down the pot in hopes you are bluffing or see showdown cheaply.

I only call the river as a better hand rereaises and a worse hand probably folds so you get no value out of the raise.

I think villian shows up with JQ/J10/J9 here or maybe a smaller pocket pair as you alluded to in your post.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 PM

Usually when a 'normal' player checkraises an EP preflop raiser on a dry board he can beat one pair.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you call the flop raise, the pot is $4.50, and hero has $4.00 left (note hero is a shortstack). So I guess, there's time enough to get the money in on the turn, but I don't think villain is folding anyway, so we may as well get the money in before we let villain draw.
I'm OK with villain folding to the all-in.
Old 10-23-2007, 08:48 AM

Don't play AJo UTG in a 9-handed game. Please.