Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2006, 07:57 PM

Default New McAfee Security Centre?

has anyone else had any kinda problems since downloading the new Security Centre update?

i downloaded it earlier and my computer has been on strike since.....it wouldnt let me open ANY webpages and had things crawling to a complete standstill while it tried to open them.

only reason i can post this is cos ive since uninstalled it just to confirm that it was the new update that caused the problems......refund here i come [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2006, 10:59 PM

Default Re: New McAfee Security Centre?

Sorry. I've never been a fan of Norton or McAfee. They have way too many services running in the background and seem to bog the system down with junk that you don't need. A simple, up to date virus scanner is just fine. I realize that you paid for McAfee, so obviously you need to use it. However, if you ever decided to switch I would give AVG a whirl. http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1 They have a free version that is wonderful and a paid version that has a few more bells and whistles. The free version is plenty good though. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

I bought a copy of McAfee a long time ago and it screwed up my system so bad, McAfee paid Microsoft tech support to try and walk me thru fixing all the damgage it did. It didn't work and I ended up re-formatting and re-installing Windows. McAfee sent me a check for the software too.lol

I know that isn't the answer you wanted but I thought I'd pass that info about AVG along. I'd email McAfee and see what they have to say.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:55 AM

ive already chatted to a McAfee CS gal and apparently a full refund is being processed right now.....its uninstalled and im NEVER going back to them.

omg but it was so [censored] slow i cant believe that anyone would use it [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2006, 02:44 PM

I'm very glad you got your money back and it was all resolved. I can totally understand your feelings from my personal experience.

I'd really give AVG a try. I think you'll be suprised how nice it is. You can set up the auto-update scheduler and it will automatically update itself once a day, every day at whatever time you tell it. If you aren't online at that time, it will check when you do go online. There is a new update almost daily and it automatically installs itself and it takes less than 20 seconds and it disapears again. That is what I want....a small, low profile anti-virus program that leaves me alone, updates, doesn't slow down my system and actually works.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2006, 05:42 PM

I have not had any problems.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive already chatted to a McAfee CS gal and apparently a full refund is being processed right now

[/ QUOTE ]

3 and half months later and i still havent received any refund from McAfee.

im in constant email communication with them since my above post but i have now just received an email telling me that the 30 day refund time frame is up and no refund will be issued - this is despite having emails on file telling me that the refund HAS been issued already(which it obv wasnt)

i have my webchat referred to in my OP saved to file and my original receipt also saved but im wondering is there anything else i can do except to keep bombarding them with emails?

is there an international consumer watchdog or something like that that i could maybe chat to?

its only ~$60 but its annoying the hell outta me the way they've handled the whole thing from the start.
Old 11-12-2006, 12:21 AM

I have trouble reading any post starting w/ McCrappy/Norton <blah> so I don't know your details....tho I did see something promising in the first response:

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry. I've never been a fan of Norton or McAfee.

[/ QUOTE ]

'nuf said. Apparently you got a refund for/from McCrappy? Cool. Dump that POS and get real protection (Sygate/Nod32/Kaspersky....plenty of options for firewall/AV....and don't forget anti-spyware from AdAware and/or SpyBot S&D. McCrappy is garbage...tho *slightly* better than nothing...sometimes, anyway. Ditch that redheaded stepchild (ignore that they're in bed w/ certain OEM's) and get sumfin worth it's own salt.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ive already chatted to a McAfee CS gal and apparently a full refund is being processed right now

[/ QUOTE ]

3 and half months later and i still havent received any refund from McAfee.

[/ QUOTE ]

thought id bring this up again as i had a good laugh when i received the following email from McAfee tonight after giving up on the refund just before Christmas last year [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Dear McAfee Customer,

Thank you for contacting McAfee.

We are happy to inform you that we received your refund request for your McAfee product. I do apologize for all the inconvenience but I will be more than happy to assist you and refund the charges. Please reply this e-mail with the complete mailing address that way I can issue a refund check.

Please include your previous correspondence when you reply to this email.

For all of your Customer Service and Technical Support needs, please visit http://www.mcafeehelp.com

Sincerely,

Jorge H.
McAfee CS-Tier 3

Safe online? Avoid dangerous web sites using McAfee SiteAdvisor? ? a FREE download from http://www.siteadvisor.com?cid=27092.
Don?t search or surf without it!

[/ QUOTE ]

im still not holding my breath waiting for the cheque tho [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

fwiw, ive used AVG since my original episode with the new McAfee and never had any problems so cheers TxGuy for the recommendation [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 07-03-2007, 08:40 PM

Ya you might turn blue waiting for that check.lol

Glad AVG has worked out for you and glad I could be of help!
Old 07-03-2007, 08:41 PM

Dear Former McAfee Customer,
We're sorry our software is so terrible. We are now processing your refund. Sorry it took us 11 months, but we have been bogged down because we all use McAfee Products on our computers here. Please contact me if you need anything. I promise to ignore your emails for at least 11 months.
Sincerely,
Jorge

P.S. Would you like to try some of our software?