Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2007, 10:31 AM

Default ESPN TV changes - 2007 WSOP

A quick summary of the changes made to the ESPN TV schedule, as confirmed by the executive producer:

1. $5000 Limit/No Limit (Steve "MrSmokey1" Billirakis) shortened to 1 hour

2. $5000/rebuys Pot Limit Omaha High (Burt Boutin) added and was given 2 hours

3. $3000 No Limit expanded to 2 hours, with the first hour built around Phil Hellmuth's attempt to win bracelet #12 (he busted out in 6th to end the 1st hour) and the 2nd hour built around housewife Beth Shak's improbable run at a bracelet (she made it to the heads-up match).

4. TV tapings for the $2500 6-handed (Event 30) and $10000 pot limit omaha (Event 50) have been cancelled.

5. There will be TV feature tables on Days 3 and 4 (June 26 and 27) of the $50K HORSE event, plus the TV final table on Day 5: June 28.

Old 06-21-2007, 07:53 AM

Default Re: ESPN TV changes - 2007 WSOP

One addition change made on the morning of June 21: Event 32 ($2000 Stud) will be produced for TV instead of Event 31 (Heads-Up) because of the presence of Daniel Negreanu, Jeffrey Lisandro, and Nick Frangos at the final table of Event 32.

(The only "name" left at the heads-up quarterfinal was Toto Leonidas. Neither Shannon Shorr nor Vanessa Selbst were big enough names. Once Selbst eliminated Paul Wasicka, the decision to make the switch was understandable.)
Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM

Glad to see a little bit of Stud on the schedule. Although I wish they would go back to covering the 10K Omaha. Do we really need 16 hours of Main Event?
Old 06-21-2007, 02:13 PM

whoa! is this for sure oliver? How gross..

aj
Old 06-22-2007, 02:41 PM

Disappointing to see less omaha and stud. They better show all of the games in the H.O.R.S.E event not just boring old holdem.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Disappointing to see less omaha and stud. They better show all of the games in the H.O.R.S.E event not just boring old holdem.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT
Old 06-22-2007, 06:04 PM

If they're showing some of the earlier days of the HORSE event I would have to think they plan on showing non-holdem hands.

My guess is they'll be showing brief spurts of hands of the different forms of poker all the while trying to keep it somewhat fluid when they have to explain, "Okay, we're back and it's the next level so the game has changed again to stud...." (and then Norm will chime-in on how Greenstein and Reese are experts at all these games but so-and-so is only a holdem/omaha guy so might be a little out of his element this one)

I'm hoping they do it this way and this is what I suggested they COULD have done last year when they decided to only do the all-holdem final-table.

It could be kind of weird for many viewers to keep up with the changing games. But I think if ESPN does it right it shouldn't be too big a problem.

ESPN would just need do the typical broadcast strategy of hitting the audience over the head over and over about how crazy it is that they are constantly changing games every 45 minutes (or whatever it is) and that each switch favors certain players and puts others at a disadvantage.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like they are going to have MORE Omaha and Stud than last year, not even counting the HORSE coverage. I think last year had one Omaha episode and no stud at all. I would like to see one limit HE event though.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
whoa! is this for sure oliver? How gross..

aj

[/ QUOTE ]
You still got ur time tho. They didn't cut you out...yet [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]