Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 AM

Default $5.50\'s short-stacked odds question

sorry for not having the hand professionally converted, but i don't really have the exact details anyway, but i can give a similar example.

the basic question is this: SB is chip leader. myself/BB and CO are basically on bubble, trying to get third place. both playing that ICM-motivate style of folding alot. SB is min-raised me twice in a row after CO/button both fold..... are there any cards with which you would just call a min-raise and see the flop, or is it just FOLD OR ALL-IN, in which case you're mostly folding..

$5.50's (50/30/20 prize structure)
blinds $150/$300
CO: 2100
button: 4300
SB/villain: 6500
BB/Hero: 2100

CO folds
button folds
SB/villain raises to 600
BB??? (looking for a reasonable calling range if any. i think i know the obvious fold and all-in ranges)

basically would you ever call (leaving you with 5BB's) and see what the flop brings. say with 89s?? pot odds are 3 to 1 ..... as i said, SB has done min-raise last 3 times, so he feels pretty comfortable i'll fold most hands.

my thinking is that calling doesn't use up too many chips. it allows me to play the BB in front of me which i lose... and the other small stack or me is going to pick up a big hand and double up or crash out soon. but calling this small raise gives me another cheap avenue to perhaps double my stack....

thanks in advance!!!. as i said, i think i know the obvious all-in and fold ranges. just not sure in-between them in terms of possibly seeing a flop.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:53 AM

Default Re: $5.50\'s short-stacked odds question

No you should almost never call with under 10x in blinds, but you could try a stop and go with some different hands because you aren't going to get him to fold to your all in much. If you had a smaller pair then you could go for it in this spot potentially but it's probably not optimal because you still have enough to fold and still be aggressive with CO & BTN on the next hand. You're not in bad shape yet.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:56 AM

thanks for the response!!

would you FOLD or go ALL-IN T9s or JTs? (for instance)
Old 06-22-2007, 02:04 AM

Fold for sure. In fact, I misspoke before, you are in position on the Villain so you can't exactly stop and go him. You have to be able to act first. If he was on the BTN & you were in the the BB, you may be able to pull off a +EV stop and go with those hands if he thinks enough to fold a lot of flops when you shove, but it's still not optimal in this situation because there is a short stack equal or close to you. If you were the shortest by a lot, then it might be optimal.