Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 12:16 AM

Default Re: What happens to the $210?

soah,

Good analysis throughout the thread. A couple quibbles/points:

You wrote: "It was not established that the player had announced a call until after his hand had been folded."

Maybe I didn't make this clear but in fact my opponent stressed that he had made the verbal call before the dealer mucked his hand. All agreed this was true.

"wrt protecting hands, it's true that players are responsible for protecting their cards. However, dealers are not supposed to muck any unprotected hands (by this I refer to cards which are not out in the middle of the table - dealers should only be mucking the cards that appear to have been folded). Players are supposed to protect their cards to protect themselves from dealer error. If a player leaves his cards uncovered, and the dealer mucks them, then the dealer has made a mistake which the player could have prevented, which the player has no recourse against. The player does not "deserve" to have his hand mucked just because he doesn't protect it as he should."

I think we can agree that a player who fails to protect his hand does not deserve the worse possible outcome. That said, such a player needs to understand that he is far more likely to run into trouble than someone who is more careful.

In regards to the cards that I held (or taking me out of it any player in my spot) you can develop some interesting decision scenarios for a floor.

For example, let's move the situation to the river. Otherwise same facts as in my OP and the player next to the dealer argues that he had called and all agree. For some reason the player in my seat (it was seat 3) held onto his cards (or they were held off from the muck by the dealer until the decision was made).

Let's say the floor asks to see the cards in order to make a fair decision.

Situation 1: Seat 3 held the stone cold nuts.

Situation 2: Seat 3 doesn't hold the nuts but he has a hand better than the cards seat 9 claimed to have held.

Situation 3: Seat 3 was on a stone cold bluff.

What would a good floor do?

~ Rick
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 AM

Default Re: What happens to the $210?

[ QUOTE ]
Edit: How is trying to get the $210 anything other than an angle shoot here?

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT