Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 09:47 AM

Default Shorty open raises, donkey calls, my worst re-raise with KK

I made a blunder so clearly awful tonight that the only sensible place to post it may be on the beginner’s forum; it was a mistake that no even minimally experience player should ever make. But I deserve to be ridiculed, I'm not sure the beginner's forum is up to it. You guys are I hope.

Anyway, the hand was played in a $3/$5 blind $200 fixed buy NL game in an LA area card club. A decent player with exactly $132 (the semi-short stack) open raises UTG+1 for $17 ($12 raise). A complete donkey (who has me substantially covered) calls the raise cold from middle position. His cold calling range is just about any two cards; he is there to gamble and spew chips. All fold to me in the SB. I look down and see black kings. I’m $360 deep.

Naturally I’m going to raise and now the question is how much. Let’s exclude silly little mini-reraises and any raise larger than the semi short stacks remaining $115 in chips; that's a favorite to kill action I want.

I’m fairly certain I made the worse size re=raise (rounded to the nearest $5 after the call of $17 including my small blind).

How much did I re-raise and why was it horrible?

Hope you guys have some fun and perhaps learn something (along with me) with this. But if all you do is make fun of me and ridiclue me remember I deserve it [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I’ll get back tomorrow early afternoon PST.

Regards,

Rick
Old 03-18-2007, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Shorty open raises, donkey calls, my worst re-raise with KK

You raised to $63 to $80 to go, shortie pushed (reraised $52), donkey called, and you could only call.

Or if we're playing half-raise reopens action, you raised $78 to $95 to go, shortie pushed (reraise of $37), donkey called, you are forced to call.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raised to $63 to $80 to go, shortie pushed (reraised $52), donkey called, and you could only call.

Or if we're playing half-raise reopens action, you raised $78 to $95 to go, shortie pushed (reraise of $37), donkey called, you are forced to call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I forgot that some places use "half raise or more counts as a full raise" for no limit. Here in LA we use the standard rule (except Hawaiian Gardens, which used the each raise must be twice the amount you are facing in order to count as a full raise). I like the HG rule best.

Anyway, you're almost exactly right. I didn't ask for a count of Short's stack and raised $60 making it $77. Shorty went into the tank then pushed for $132. Now the donkey calls. The raise is $55 back to me and I can only call.

The sick thing is I got my money in against the donkey anyway when the flop came babies. He had Ace rag (his rag missed the babies!) and he called my flop push of about $230. To my horror the turn comes an ace and I luckbox the river by redrawing a king.

Definitely a pot I deserved to lose so I used my cell to leave a note on my answering machine to write a late night post as punishment for my stupidity (my answering machine serves as a poor man's PDA).

I think this mistake is so fundamental it belongs on the beginners forum, maybe I'll rewrite it a bit in a few days and post there.

Thanks for your reply; I really didn't deserve one.

~ Rick

PS If anyone else wants to reply, please use taunts and insults. In this case they are welcome and appropriate.
Old 03-18-2007, 06:57 PM

The donkey made a worse mistake so I don't think you deserved to lose the pot.

Anyway, a while ago I didn't even know about the rule until a similar situation happened to me, when I was playing online in a 3-way pot and I had Aces. At the time, I was getting angry at Party because I thought my raise button was missing (at that time, the software was so crappy that sometimes buttons DID disappear). Luckily someone at the chat pointed out for me what was going on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-18-2007, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The donkey made a worse mistake so I don't think you deserved to lose the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Donkeys will hopefully always be donkeys and hopefully not all be eaten by the sharks (or Pirana in my case).

Anyway, whenever you make that fundamental a mistake you deserve to lose. Actual outcomes don't really count. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, a while ago I didn't even know about the rule until a similar situation happened to me, when I was playing online in a 3-way pot and I had Aces. At the time, I was getting angry at Party because I thought my raise button was missing (at that time, the software was so crappy that sometimes buttons DID disappear). Luckily someone at the chat pointed out for me what was going on [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Another note to myself: Now that I'm goofing around in Stars donkaments I need to learn their raise rules cold.

~ Rick