Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2007, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Busto in less than a week -- is this to be expected?

You might have busted thru variance or thru poor play. Probably some of both. Get your hand histories, stick em in a converter and see how you played.

I suggest you read HOH1.

If you sign up to Party or Empire thru www.internettexasholdem.com you get the poker site's usual bonus plus 3 free books from ITH. The bonuses are the easiest to clear around.
Old 02-09-2007, 07:17 AM

Get a rakeback deal & check the internet bonuses forum [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-09-2007, 07:42 AM

Pokerstars has $0.01/$0.02 nl tables. If you don't have an easily replenishable roll, you can drop $50 on Stars and have tons of room for learning.

If you don't mind reloading while you learn (more of a poker "budget" than a bankroll), you're probably better off at the slightly higher stakes as you'll learn faster.

Keep studying here, keep asking questions.

It'll come.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:30 PM

like runout_mick says, get over to PokerStars. Full Tilt doesn't offer low enough stakes for a $50 bankroll.

Don't get discouraged. When I first started I also went with $50 and donked it down to about $7 before I was able to work it back up slowly. Nnow keep in mind I'm not exactly a superstar or anything, but once you read some books and apply the theories in real life, you'll see results, especially at low limits.
Good Luck!
Old 02-09-2007, 05:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let's cut to it.
It makes absolutely no difference how big your BR is or how you manage it, if your game is fundamentally flawed.

[/ QUOTE ]

*applause*

Thank you so much for saying this. I'm glad I'm not the lone voice in the wilderness issuing this reminder.
Old 02-10-2007, 11:58 PM

Do not get too hung up on bankroll. Bankroll fears stunt many players' growth.

It is an undeniable fact that you will lose money while learning. Come to grips with this reality and set a budget (as opposed to a bankroll) you are comfortable with and a time line.

Once you are a winning player, at whatever level and game you play, you can then work within the constraints of a bankroll.

Use part of your budget to buy PokerTracker. It will help you analyze your game and progress. It is not the easiest software program to master but the time spent learning PokerTracker is well spent.

As far as books go, I found that I got the most out of books in the second, third, and even fourth reading. Do not get rid of your books after reading them just once.

As you gain experience you will have more of a foundation for understanding what is written in books. This fact hit me in the face like a brick the second time I read the NLHE section of Super System 2 and I started re-reading all my books.

While learning try to ignore results especially in MTTs. Get your money in when you are ahead, try to maximize your profit on great hands, minimize your losses on poor hands.

Take a piss break when you are in the small blind. Fetch a beer or coffee when you are in the small blind. Let the cat out when you are in the small blind. The small blind is a major leak for all new players. It is the worst position at the table and the cheaper cost to enter a pot is tempting. While learning, play hands from the small blind you would play from UTG and no others and usually raise it up.

Good luck.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 PM

I would stay away from the $1 Full Tilt S&G’s, the rake is .25, the $2 are a better deal. Oberonn hit’s the nail on the head when he recommends getting Poker Tracker, this should be your first poker investment in your game. You can get a free trial of Poker Tracker, I would do this now if you have not done it already. After every S&G, log out of FullTilt and use the hand re player to analyze your S&G. Oberonn’s advice about your small blind is excellent. I would also recommend playing only AA,KK, and Aks in early and middle position till you get short handed or short stacked.
Best of luck!!!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I probably tilted off around $20 of this money and lost at least $16 of it in hands where I believe I had the best hand, but got sucked out on.

[/ QUOTE ]

You went bust because you played badly. Not because of variance or bad luck or some mysterious Doom Switch. Not even because of bankroll management. You lost because you played worse than the other guy. People in this thread telling you otherwise are doing you a disservice.

What bearing does bankroll management have on all of this? Your lack of bankroll management influenced how quickly you went broke. Not the fact that you did. If you had a 1000-buyin roll, it would just take longer but you'll still go broke playing badly.

Ignore all advice telling you that this is somehow not your fault.

Fortunately, there is a solution if you are willing to pursue it. Poker is a game that can be played well. All you have to do is learn how.