Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2007, 02:46 PM

Default A few problems I see with playing short-stacked online

In Ed Miller's Getting Started in Hold'em book he advocates for beginners to play short-stacked NL when they're starting out. After reading this section of the book, I have a few questions.

1. Miller recommends that you play extremely tight as a short-stack; e.g. playing AA-1010, AK in EP and only slightly looser in mid. and late position. Won't the blinds eat you alive if you play only these types of hands online. I'm assuming you'd almost have to play full ring games for this style of play to be profitable, else you'd be down to half your stack before you got a decent hand. Do you remedy this by just reloading frequently?

2. What do you do when you double up? Most likely you'll be playing with a medium sized stack. Can you still play short-stacked style with a bigger stack? Most tables won't let you stand up and sit back down for smaller amounts if you've left the table within the last half hour or so.

(Please keep this thread about answering these questions, not about commenting on why you think playing short-stacked is wrong, flawed, etc.)
Old 02-10-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: A few problems I see with playing short-stacked online

You can usually move to a different table and buy-in short.