Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-26-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Club extensions?

So I played golf throughout high school almost every day, probably got down to a 7 handicap during that time, and I was about 6' tall by senior year of high school. I then played a few times in college, nothing much, but grew another few inches to 6'2".

Now that I have a job and money I have started playing again regularly and I feel like my clubs, especially the 8iron to Pwedge are to short. I have been blading and topping alot of shots and feel like I have to squat to hit the ball properly. At the same time I kind of suck now, so it could just be that lost all form. Is it normal for a 6'2" person to need extensions on a stardard club length? Or should I just wait and see if my posture and swing changes.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:21 PM

Default Re: Club extensions?

[ QUOTE ]
So I played golf throughout high school almost every day, probably got down to a 7 handicap during that time, and I was about 6' tall by senior year of high school. I then played a few times in college, nothing much, but grew another few inches to 6'2".

Now that I have a job and money I have started playing again regularly and I feel like my clubs, especially the 8iron to Pwedge are to short. I have been blading and topping alot of shots and feel like I have to squat to hit the ball properly. At the same time I kind of suck now, so it could just be that lost all form. Is it normal for a 6'2" person to need extensions on a stardard club length? Or should I just wait and see if my posture and swing changes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to your local golf club retailer and speak with a rep. They could do a quick 5 to 10 minute fitting to see if you do indeed need a longer than standard club to meet your new height and what might be a new swing.
Old 04-26-2007, 06:26 PM

IMO club extensions should only be used as a last resort if you cant afford other club work. The best thing to do would be to reshaft your set with the proper length shafts. You lose a lot of feel because the extenstions arent really a part of the shaft.
Old 04-26-2007, 11:14 PM

as far as figuring out if you need extensions, its relative to the distance between the tips of your fingers to the ground, i am 6' 4'' and they are a huge help, my iron distances went up too obv.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:20 AM

Why would you put extensions on instead of replacing the shafts or getting a whole new set? You should just get professionally fitted, then buy irons in that size - they shouldn't cost you too much, and will be worth it entirely.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:58 AM

Yor probably stronger now as well, you may need a stiffer shaft, might be time for a new set of irons.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why would you put extensions on instead of replacing the shafts or getting a whole new set? You should just get professionally fitted, then buy irons in that size - they shouldn't cost you too much, and will be worth it entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you really like the look/feel of your current clubs, I would get fit for new ones. You definitely need longer than standard clubs being 6'2". How much depends on the distance between your fingertips and the ground. Any retailer can get a new set custom made from any manufacturer for the same price as off the rack, it just takes a couple weeks to get them. Good luck.
Old 04-29-2007, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You definitely need longer than standard clubs being 6'2".

[/ QUOTE ]

not true at all. adjusting your lie angles might well be enough.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:37 AM

Your height has absolutely nothing to do with the proper length of your clubs. The definition of proper length is: The longest clubs you can hit while still being accurate enough for your skill level.

The only way to find out the right length for you is to hit a bunch of balls with different length clubs and see what is the longest length you can hit without a significant decrease in ball striking consistency.

Clubfitters will take a fingertip to floor measurement as a STARTING POINT, not as a determination of your correct clublengths. Then they will (should) have you hit some wedges, 5-irons, and drivers of various lengths.