Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2007, 02:38 PM

Default Re: Negotiating a New Car Price -- Your Stories.

[ QUOTE ]
If they are saying they "could re-evaluate the trade-in price", then they'll do it. My wife and I just bought a new 2006 Chevrolet SUV-wagon thingy (forget the name) and traded in her Grand Prix. The dealership we went to had a decent offer, but above what I was willing to pay, so we left. Thanked them for their time and walked out.

Two days later, the saleswoman's (yes, girls sell cars too silly) manager's manager calls us and they go up a little on the trade and down on the vehicle price. We politely tell them that this is still above what we are looking to pay and the hard line amount we set when we first walked in is a hard line.

Anyways, three days after that, the same manager calls us and says that he "thinks he can get his boss to go a little higher on the trade and they'll drop the vehicle price a bit more" which put us at the price range we had originally asked for.

So, by holding out one week, the dealership dropped the vehicle price around $2,500 and upped our trade-in by about $1,500. The even funnier part was the sticker price we saw on the vehicle at the lot was about $3,000 over what my wife had seen it listed as on the Internet.

The saleswoman asked us where we found that price and said "she couldn't find it listed at that". My wife was ready for this and told her the exact website and location of the vehicle and sure enough, it was listed for the lower price. She 'went to talk to her manager' about it and came back saying "because you saw it at this price, we'll honor that".

To myself, I was like LDO you will. If you didn't, I'm walking off your lot now.

Bottom line is if the dealership wants to sell you the car bad enough and your price range for trade-in and vehicle price is reasonable, they'll find a way to do it.

We estimated that by researching the Internet pricing and holding out for that week saved us between $7,000-8,000 total on the car.

[/ QUOTE ]

The internet [censored] happens to me all the time. I'll be out on the lot and the price is on the window and they're like 'we saw this for blah blah blah, what's the deal' so I go check the computer and they don't have anything listed in our inventory screens but if I ask my manager he'll tell me that the used car manager put an internet special on it or some [censored]. It's annoying as hell sometimes.