Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2007, 06:53 PM

Default Re: General life questions / observations / random whatever thread

I met my namesake Rob Halford today. That is all.
Old 11-15-2007, 07:07 PM

hmm I'm just musing at work right now, and I couldn't think of a better place to write my thoughts.

I had a conversation with my friend this weekend...we were talking about life, and the possibility of me not going back to school. I had said that even if I didn't go to school, I felt strangely confident that I would find a way to be alright. I don't know how...just a belief in my core.

I don't know where I'm going with this. There is an NVG thread which spurred me to recontemplate this issue...

I expressed that I thought some people are just "good at life". To some they may seem lucky or fortunate, but somehow they seem to end up being successful, no matter what path they take.

Think back to high school...weren't there a few people who you just KNEW would be successful? Something about them?

I think there are people in this world who make the most out of their luck...they get chance opportunities, but then they take advantage of them in ways most people would not or could not.

Everyone gets lucky, but certain people always seem to come out further ahead.

I think I'm one of those people...but I guess there's a strong possibility I'm deluding myself.

What it do?
Old 11-15-2007, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Think back to high school...weren't there a few people who you just KNEW would be successful? Something about them?

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly, 2 of these people from my high school are now dead

1 in a month from a sudden cancer, and 1 by a drunk driver (not that they could have done anything, but didn't think they'd be the first ones to go)

also, as you get older the feeling (that you have this quality) can wear off at times.... then it can come back or not...

i guess, it just means you should think things through carefully? idk - life is full of the unexpected
Old 11-16-2007, 06:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I'm one of those people...but I guess there's a strong possibility I'm deluding myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is pretty hard to delude yourself about this. You know if you are successful or not better than anyone else.

The only real risk of delusion is that I find people will often delude themselves on the definition of success. If you can avoid that then you should be able to self-evaluate accurately.
Old 11-16-2007, 10:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had said that even if I didn't go to school, I felt strangely confident that I would find a way to be alright. I don't know how...just a belief in my core

[/ QUOTE ]
I have this too, but I think it's probably just survivor bias. If I thought this then one day things went horribly wrong, I'd lose the feeling.

Of course you need to push to take advantage of where luck leads you, but if things go wrong somehow one day, it's probably not your fault and probably just the downswing...
Old 11-16-2007, 10:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only real risk of delusion is that I find people will often delude themselves on the definition of success. If you can avoid that then you should be able to self-evaluate accurately.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another risk of delusion is thinking that "something will come to save me". Sure, it probably did once, but that was just random chance and you can't rely on it happening again. Nassim Taleb wrote a couple of books that're about this kind of thing.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM

Can you clarify what you mean by "something will come to save me"?
Old 11-16-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you clarify what you mean by "something will come to save me"?

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, let's look at me. In 2002 I was looking for a job whilst learning poker. I spent a while going to interviews etc, and had a really good poker month. I decided to stop looking and keep playing poker.

That's really just a case of fortuitious timing - it's not like I relied on my wits and hard work to get out of a problem, I basically got lucky. I know that and I know it's not going to go that way for me in the future.

I'm sure that most people have situations like that (perhaps better hidden) that show how a lucky break went their way and solved a problem for them.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM

To me, that doesn't really sound like luck. Another person might've ditched poker completely and put all his efforts into finding a job.

In that way, you really do have some control over what happens. And I think that's kind of what I was posting about...everyone gets lucky, but we don't all have the same outcomes. Some people do more with their luck.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:55 PM

I was about the say the same thing. I had a very similar situation in second year law. I had the best year of sports betting so when it came time to get a job I didn't have to. I agree there was a luck aspect in that I got hot then rather than after I had already accepted a job but it wasn't 100% luck.

If you had won the lottery or inherited money from a relative that you had never met that would be pure luck. Having a good month of poker at a critical point in time is at most partial luck and partial effort / skill.