Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Talking is ok, with my consent.
Yes 44 89.80%
No 5 10.20%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Default thoughts and another story

btw guys, i am usually incredibly easy going, but i was pretty offended with it. i don't really know why especially since this girl was obviously just really dumb. if she had went into a karate kid crane stance then bowed i would have probably honked and accelerated. as it was, i was so surprised all i could really say was "wow, that was really racist."

the sad part of it all was that she probably did not really mean any harm, she probably really thought that she was doing right by bowing.

okay how about this for another story. when i was 16 or 17, i was driving up to canada with my family. we were stopped in traffic around the american/canadian checkpoint when this minivan came up along side of us. a 7 or 8 year old white boy popped his head out of the window, looked at us in our car and shouted out "are you part of the yellow invasion?!"
Old 08-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Wow, that was racist

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the racism vs. ignorance thing, it seems to me like some of the problem is inherent in how you define racism. I'm assuming that to the extent there is disagreement in this thread, it is because people don't have matching definitions of what racism is. Some people seem to be working with a viewpoint that it's not racism unless there's straight up hate involved. This is a rather cartoonish view, in my opinion, and is probably pretty rarely the case. At the other end of the spectrum, I think you could also make the argument that any kind of racial prejudging is racism, in some sense. I don't think this is a useful definition because at this level everybody would be racist. So the actual definition has to fall somewhere in between, though I'm not sure where.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this.

CDC - maybe I missed this, what part of the country did this happen (I assume this is the States)?

-Al
Old 08-05-2007, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

CDC - maybe I missed this, what part of the country did this happen (I assume this is the States)?

[/ QUOTE ]

Santa Barbara
Old 08-05-2007, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"are you part of the yellow invasion?!"

[/ QUOTE ]
That sucks man. Beats interment in a concentration camp, genocide, plague, famine and death, but it definitely sucks.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she does a 60 degree bow

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe she was just bending over to help herself fart?

Old 08-05-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Re: thoughts and another story

[ QUOTE ]

okay how about this for another story. when i was 16 or 17, i was driving up to canada with my family. we were stopped in traffic around the american/canadian checkpoint when this minivan came up along side of us. a 7 or 8 year old white boy popped his head out of the window, looked at us in our car and shouted out "are you part of the yellow invasion?!"

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, this is WAAAYYYYYYY worse.

1. Its likely that this kid heard this crap from his parents. Which is sad, that he's already picking up stupid beliefs from them.

2. "Yellow Invasion" is much more malicious then the girl bowing. It implies a "take over" of the country. Stealing jobs. blah blah blah.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 PM

Location: Clinging to the binomial theorem like a drunk to a lamppost

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Its likely that this kid heard this crap from his parents. Which is sad, that he's already picking up stupid beliefs from them.

2. "Yellow Invasion" is much more malicious then the girl bowing. It implies a "take over" of the country. Stealing jobs. blah blah blah.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The bow is worth an eye-roll but this might be an actual beatdown situation.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:55 PM

I thought all Asians kept a pair of sharpened chopsticks in the glove compartment for times like these? amateur
Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
she sees me and my friend who is also asian in my passanger side seat and stares for like 4 seconds . then she clasps her hands together and does a 60 degree bow and then turns around and walks away with her friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did she move off to the side or keep walking in front? I originally thought she meant it in an "I didn't realize we were in your way" sort-of apology bow ( her naivety notwithstanding). But after the staring pause, she was probably being a biatch. Kinda like how some people at a light get mad when they don't realize that it turned green and the car behind them has to honk. For some reason they consider it rude. Perhaps she felt your proximity invaded her "personal space".

Inappropriate-yes

Racist-no.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The bow is worth an eye-roll but this might be an actual beatdown situation.

[/ QUOTE ]
I hope the beatdown is directed toward the parents and not the child. I doubt there are many 7 or 8 year olds who understand the concept of racism. The only possible reason they could look down upon someone for their race is because their parents do. They wouldn't even really believe it, they'd just act the same way as their parents. Racist thoughts probably don't really manifest until they're quite a bit older.

In this situation the kid probably heard something about the "yellow invasion" and asked what it was. The parents then pointed out some asian person. Then when the kid saw another asian person, he associated him with what his parents said. It's sad that this kid will be brought up this way, but you can't get mad at him at this point.

I have a similar story from when I was much younger...when I was a little kid (like 3 I think) I had wallpaper in my room that had the alphabet and animals that began with each letter. C = crocodile, E = elephant, etc. We flew to Hawaii for my aunt's wedding...she had an 8 month old baby who had a black father. When I saw him I pointed and said "monkey." What a way for my mom to meet my aunt lol.