Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM

Default Having trouble to accept that you have to lose some money

Hello,
i just banned myself for 7 days from pokerstars.
I played quite well over the summer (from june until end of august). But then i lost 8 BIs at my level (NL10), i played breakeven for the most time. Then i won some BIs back and moved up to NL25 (I had the BR to do it, had over 20BIs for NL25, but my actual goal was to have 30BIs for NL25). I won some BIs, but then i lost them all, because of playing too many tables.
So i was back at 0 for NL25.
I went back to playing only 1 table and set myself a goal: winning 5BIs in order to add another table. But playing the one table, i always thought about the times when i had like 4 BIs more, and desperately wanted them back.
I played mediocre poker. I won some pots and was happy, but then i lost one pot and was back at my original buyin, and i thought again about the money.
I never had that at NL5, NL10 and at the beginning of NL25.
I dont think i am not good enough to beat NL25, i beat NL5 and NL10 at a good winrate.

What else should i do?
I tried not to look at my balance (i did it for 5 days, which was my goal), but it didnt help.

I hope the 1 week break will help me to refocus on my game.

Do you have any other suggestions?
Old 09-21-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Having trouble to accept that you have to lose some money

- don't ever think about the money, focus on the game and your decisions

- get better at multitabling; start with 3 at play money until you can beat them all consistently, add another at penny-stakes, stay with it until you master it, then just keep adding. A tip I can give you about multitabling is that you must play a more mathematical strategy, don't be trying to rigorously analyze the psychology of every move your opponent makes the way you can at 1 or 2 tables. Shift your thinking to range and equity analyses for the particular situations that come up. Don't get sloppy in early positions.

- sounds like you are way too attached to the money, sweating buy-ins and what not. This will pretty much guarantee your going bust over and over again until you fix it. Play the GAME right and the money MUST come, eventually.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Having trouble to accept that you have to lose some money

I think you misunderstood me.
I 4tabled NL5 and NL10 easily, it worked.

I dont have trouble losing some money. But i always think of the times when i had more money, and what i did differently there.
I know i can beat those stakes, but when i lose a pot, even a small one, when i have to reload, i think: "Do i drop 8BIs again?"

I think i got a barrier in my head, which hinders me to improve my game :/