Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the Video Game Industry

[ QUOTE ]
Bump.

A friend of mine insists that working in the video game industry sucks, and that, specifically, you're better off as a programmer for a boring business software company than at a video game company, purely because of the hours (40 vs. 60-80).

Is he right? What makes the video game industry special, if you're not one of the actual designers? As a programmer, would it matter what you were working on, or it would be equally exciting/boring whether it was GTA7 or HP Printer Driver Version 82.16?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there are game jobs out there that could really drain a person at 60-80 hours a week. However, there are those special jobs that you consider yourself lucky to be able to work even more than that. If you're surrounded by great people, good management, have a solid relationship with your publisher, and are proud of the game you are working on, there are few jobs that are more enjoyable on a daily basis. Sure, it's a lot of hard work. But when you are working with a team of people that are putting forth the same effort towards a common goal, it's very easy to get the job done. In summary, not all game jobs are created equal.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Ask me about the Video Game Industry

[ QUOTE ]
How do you like working in an industry in which the majority of your colleagues are males that are both over the age of 30, and haven't had pussy since pussy had them?

[/ QUOTE ]

This part is not generally true.