Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2007, 06:35 PM

Default Re: High Stakes Poker thread (11/19 - 500K buyin pt 3 - Spoilers on al

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The only mistake Phil made was underbetting the flop, but I'm sure he was trying to induce a raise or had other reasons for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's my point. so we agree.

thank you.

i don't railbird internet players. so i wouldn't know of all these great plays you guys watch. all i know is that in three out of four hands i've seen the guy play he played badly. that's all.

[/ QUOTE ]

while you defend farha who has played a bigger percent of hands badly then jman?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've seen a greater percentage of jman's hands played badly than farha's or anyone else's.

[/ QUOTE ]

werent you the guy defending farha calling 25k preflop with K8s when hellmuth raised it?

yea htat says enough...
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes one time him and Eli actually chopped, but that was a HU pot and for the most part doesn't affect anybody else at the table. I know that technically it's not right because some of the money in the pot that they're chopping isn't theirs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about how you figure some of the money in a pot when it's heads up could be anything but theirs? Anyone that has folded has no claim on that pot - once the money is in the pot it's not yours anymore and once you fold you have no claim on the pot whatsoever!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very contradictory, and I think if you go with this kind of thinking it leads to straight-out collusion hardwired into the game. If two players have an agreement, tacit or explicit, to chop pots when they're headsup, any player who gets involved in a pot with them is gonna get screwed.

You're right that when money goes into the pot, it's not yours anymore, and I think that should apply to headsup, too.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doyle is funny as hell.

Antonio: "Sick versus sicker"
Doyle: "You mean dumb and dumber?"

*when they are discussing about Gold check-raising in the dark*
Doyle: "What has poker come to?"

Doyle: "If my daddy knew I was a loser in this poker game he'd come out of the grave and beat the heck out of me"
Barry: "Exactly lol"

[/ QUOTE ]

A++

[/ QUOTE ]

Has Doyle ever been shown bluffing in the history of this show?
Old 11-21-2007, 07:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Has Doyle ever been shown bluffing in the history of this show?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course - most famously in season 1 when he tried to bluff Ted Forest and when it didn't work he said "I should have known better than to bluff an idiot". In season 2 he apologised to Ted Forest for calling him an idiot on national TV.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes one time him and Eli actually chopped, but that was a HU pot and for the most part doesn't affect anybody else at the table. I know that technically it's not right because some of the money in the pot that they're chopping isn't theirs

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious about how you figure some of the money in a pot when it's heads up could be anything but theirs? Anyone that has folded has no claim on that pot - once the money is in the pot it's not yours anymore and once you fold you have no claim on the pot whatsoever!

[/ QUOTE ]

Think of it this way; everybody at the table has nothing. Eli makes a big raises with garbage and Sammy calls with garbage and everybody folds behind them. Then they chop the pot on the flop. They both have now profited between the blinds and antes a couple grand at the other player's expense. Now it's only happened once on the show that has been aired IIRC, so it's not a big deal. But if it were to happen with a higher frequency, you would see some people at the table who wouldn't be pleased, and for good reason.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is very contradictory, and I think if you go with this kind of thinking it leads to straight-out collusion hardwired into the game. If two players have an agreement, tacit or explicit, to chop pots when they're headsup, any player who gets involved in a pot with them is gonna get screwed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but if 2 players want to collude they can easily do so and split the profits in the privacy of a hotel room later on - so I don't see how not allowing them to chop a pot would really make that much difference.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but if 2 players want to collude they can easily do so and split the profits in the privacy of a hotel room later on - so I don't see how not allowing them to chop a pot would really make that much difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

it just lends the impression that softplaying is a standard and acceptable part of the game. Even if that's the case in some games, I hate that it's so obviously demonstrated on a tv show.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it just lends the impression that softplaying is a standard and acceptable part of the game. Even if that's the case in some games, I hate that it's so obviously demonstrated on a tv show.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then lets just hope the casual TV fan implements some of the other aspects of the Gold/Farha approach to NL Holdem.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you can shear a sheep over and over, you can only skin them once. i wouldn't want to be the sheep that got skinned over and over....lol

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Whoops. I blame the whiskey ...
Old 11-21-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Jamie Gold is annoying and terrible.
2. Barry and Doyle are funny, but not good enough to beat this game. Move down obv.
3. Antonio, David, and Patrik may or may not have been playing in this episode. I can't remember.

[/ QUOTE ]

They aren't good enough to beat this game?...

Haha...