Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 12:52 PM

Default PLO8 Sit&Go Bubble

I find myself often involved in this situation(4 handed with a small chip lead): 4 handed, blind 200/400, my stack is 4500, short stack is 1800 and the other two players have about 3600 each
I'm in the big blind with A235 single suited and the short stack pushes on my blind:I call and 2/3 of the times he scoops the pot with hands like 5799, KJ77, etc
Is it correct to call his push or it would be better to get some chips from the other two players who may be afraid to get off the tournament on the bubble?
I know and apply the correct strategy in NLH bubble but in PLO8, where a nice hand is not so favourite preflop vs another hand, I don't know how to adjust
I don't have any HH and it's my first post so I don't know if I gave all the informations needed
Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM

Default Re: PLO8 Sit&Go Bubble

With a stack ratio where you can lose to the small stack and still be chip leader, you can call down with almost anything. In situation where you will be knocked into the middle of the pack, you can be more judicious/timid.

A235, 3 of 1 suit, and these stack ratios is still a green light for me, but I might fold it under other circumstances. I would probably fold something worse than this here, for example 347T, 3 of 1 suit.
Old 10-24-2007, 01:30 PM

I am not sure what the correct play is in the bubble with such hand, we probably need an ICM calculator for that, but most players overestimate the value of A235 in heads up situations. You are playing primarily for low and 40% of the time it won't be a low. A235 is great in multiway pots because the times when you scoop will more that make up for the times when you get quartered or when you have to fold after the flop, but it really falls in value in short handed situations.
By the way, is there an ICM calculator for PLO8?
Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 AM

This is an insta call but you are never going to be more than slightly ahead and there's little difference between this and like AK58 or something. There is too much in the pot to fold.
Shoving those hands you listed is fine if you actually fold. Basically there is so little difference between so many hands that it comes down almost all to fold equity and stack sizes. If you are playing against people who wait for A2 or A3 you can run them over by just raising every hand and even when you get it in you are still 45% to win or so.