Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 10-02-2007, 09:18 PM

Default Ban effect on CP?

How goes play two days into the state-wide smoking ban at Canterbury?

I'm a non-smoker, but I'm wondering if there is more walking (or at least for longer times) and if its affecting the games? I'm on travel for work so I might not make it there for a couple of weeks.

I won't miss the held lungful of smoke release at the table, but I don't want the games to suck either.

Maybe the servers can sell patches.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:50 AM

Default Re: Ban effect on CP?

I've noticed a few more third man walking situations. You don't get the second hand table toke but waiting at valet has the potential for becoming ridiculous.
Get away from the door for god's sake.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've noticed a few more third man walking situations. You don't get the second hand table toke but waiting at valet has the potential for becoming ridiculous.
Get away from the door for god's sake.

[/ QUOTE ]

didnt even think of that... its gonna be brutal out there, they will probably make some changes.

looking forward to coming back in a couple weeks
Old 10-03-2007, 07:49 AM

It doesn't look like it's really affecting much except for the smokers being pissed. Especially in these more rural counties everyone hates being told what they can and cannot do by Saint Paul.

I'm personally livid about this and it will probably cause me to play more online this winter.
Old 10-03-2007, 02:59 PM

I was playing as the ban went into effect, and I very much savored the moment. Even with the glass in place, the tables closest to the bar area were smoky.

[rant]
Addicts now have to go outside to smoke, which means braving Minnesota winters to feed the flames of their addiction. I will personally rejoice a little bit every time I see some addict leave the nice (semi) warm cardroom to smoke outside in the snow.

Perhaps the continued pressure will assist people in deciding that smoking is a bad idea.

And before you smokers start bitching about how your rights are being trampled on, understand that I have to pay more in insurance premiums in order to pay for your smoking-related illnesses (not to mention the additional millions spent on asthma treatment in hospital ERs for children of parents to [censored] stupid to consider how their smoking is making their kids sick), so I don't give a rat [censored] about your rights. It's not just about your "personal choice," what you do affects others.
[/rant]

As to the impact on the games, there will be more 7 and 8 handed games as the smokers will not be able to run to the bar, take a few puffs, then run back to the table. Also, fine with me.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:41 PM

I live in California. It's so cute watching other cities try smoking bans. Trust me, it's better this way. Even the smokers by and large prefer it.

...I grew up in Ohio, and I enjoyed going out to the snow to smoke, especially late at night.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...I grew up in Missouri, and I enjoyed going out to the snow to smoke, especially late at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some of my favorite times.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:58 PM

When did the rake hike go into effect?? I was there recently and didnt notice. That is ridiculous the games are unbeatable at the low limits as it is now an extra buck is taken. I guess I'm going to have to boycott the place for a while since I primarily play 3/6 and some 4/8. Treasure Island you got my business for a while.

EDIT: Brag: I can smoke there.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did the rake hike go into effect??

[/ QUOTE ]

couple weeks ago
Old 10-04-2007, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When did the rake hike go into effect?? I was there recently and didnt notice. That is ridiculous the games are unbeatable at the low limits as it is now an extra buck is taken. I guess I'm going to have to boycott the place for a while since I primarily play 3/6 and some 4/8. Treasure Island you got my business for a while.

EDIT: Brag: I can smoke there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think the smoking ban and rake increase might hurt Canterbury's business a bit. I was at Treasure Island last Friday and the waiting lists were very long.
Does anyone know if they have increased the rake down there at Treasure Island at all?