Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 06-15-2007, 03:42 PM

Default Obama\'s 1996 election

Barack Obama's first run for office was in 1996 for Illinois State Senate. Apparently, the only reason he was elected was because he mounted court challenges against all four of his primary opponents, including the incumbent, and got all of them knocked off the ballot for having questionable petition signatures, so he could run unopposed.

I read this in a magazine today and am surprised it hasn't gotten more press. It seems like something opponents of Obama would be jumping all over.

I don't have a link to the magazine article, but here's similar newspaper article discussing the circumstances of this election.

Does anyone else find this troubling?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:45 PM

Default Re: Obama\'s 1996 election

If i remember correctly all the opponents had messed up big time and had violated the rules that would allow them to be put on the ballot.
Old 06-16-2007, 06:30 PM

"Why say you're for a new tomorrow, then do old-style Chicago politics to remove legitimate candidates?" Askia asked. "He talks about honor and democracy, but what honor is there in getting rid of every other candidate so you can run scot-free? Why not let the people decide?"

^^Interesting quotes in the article. When I read your post first thing I thought was typical Chicago like politics
Old 06-16-2007, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Why say you're for a new tomorrow, then do old-style Chicago politics to remove legitimate candidates?" Askia asked. "He talks about honor and democracy, but what honor is there in getting rid of every other candidate so you can run scot-free? Why not let the people decide?"

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the United States is a nation of laws, not of men. Why should they be allowed to participate if they did not follow the law?
Old 06-17-2007, 03:51 AM

LOL @ defenders.