Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Golf
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: ***Official US Open Thread (Oakmont)***

[ QUOTE ]
As for favorites, in golf it is a frivolous discussion. There's Tiger, and then there's about 30-50+ other guys not far behind him who could win if they get hot this week. More interesting bets are pools where you pick or draft several players and their aggregate total decides the winner.

[/ QUOTE ]

tuq,

You have described a pool I've been running now for 6 years. I have 50 participants and each major is a separate contest with monies given to 1st, 2nd and 3rd. Two years ago I added a player of the year (poty) component. The poty wins money and takes receipt of the "hickman cup" for the year. His/her name is also inscribed on the cup which is actually a trophy.

Each participant gets 72 points to choose their 6 man rosters (it must be exactly 6 golfers). My pool has a twist though in that at least 4 of your golfers must make the cut for you to make the cut. Typically about 38% of the participants miss the cut every major. You take your lowest 4 scores and that is your team score (for example, if all 6 of your players make the cut you throw out your two worst scores).

I started a blog for my pool and to begin a golf blog too. My squad for the U.S. Open is (Zach Johnson - 15.8 pts; David Toms - 14.5 pts; Stewart Cink - 13.8 pts; Sean O'Hair - 12.0 pts; Ryan Moore - 9.8 pts and Nick Dougherty - 6.1 pts). You can see the Player Point Values for the U.S. Open at my blog and get a feel for how competitive such a pool can get.
Old 06-13-2007, 09:45 PM

Did anyone see Johnny Miller's interview on PTI? He said that a 63 was totally capable on that course and that the players were blowing the course out of proportion.

Is he on drugs or are the players just cry babies?
Old 06-13-2007, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone see Johnny Miller's interview on PTI? He said that a 63 was totally capable on that course and that the players were blowing the course out of proportion.

[/ QUOTE ]
I saw that. I don't know the answer to your question but I'm curious to find out.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Miller is high on himself, that's all.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As for favorites, in golf it is a frivolous discussion. There's Tiger, and then there's about 30-50+ other guys not far behind him who could win if they get hot this week.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that this is true for most any given week on tour and even for the PGA and most British Opens. But looking at the list of Master's and US Open winners in the last 15 years it's pretty much (>90%) a list of top ten golfers at the time or dude's destined for the hall of fame. The harder the course/conditions the more this seems to be true.

That's why I enjoy watching the Masters and US Opens so much. Great golf on great courses where the winner usually is a great golfer exihibiting why he is great.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure I watched the entire Golf Channel Pregame or whatever yesterday. Might have missed 10 or 20 minutes. They NEVER mentioned Goosen. Even when they were showing tee times he wasn't mentioned. How do you not even mention a TWO-time champion? Let's just talk about Phil's boo-boo and Tiger's baby for two hours. Goosen, ftw!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
I watch more golf than the average joe, but not as much as a lot of you guys. And I can't for the life of me figure out why Goosen hasn't won 5 or 6 majors. He is a stone cold assassin on courses that make other players look like fools. What is his weakness?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:09 AM

He's a terrible putter (for a pro)
Old 06-14-2007, 11:27 AM

Goosen 2007 (PGA)

Money List $868,404 54th
Driving Distance (Yards Per) 290.4 51st
Driving Accuracy 52.6% 177th
Total Driving 228 154th
Greens Hit In Regulation 60.3% 150th
Putting(Per Hole) 1.8 124th
Sand Saves 43.4% 143rd
Birdies (Per Round) 2.8 152nd
Eagles (Holes Per) 252 89th

Goosen 2006 (PGA)

Money List $2,617,453 19th
Driving Distance (Yards Per) 297.6 34th
Driving Accuracy 57.3% 176th
Total Driving 209 125th
Greens Hit In Regulation 65.5% 92nd
Putting(Per Hole) 1.8 73rd
Sand Saves 49.5% 90th
Birdies (Per Round) 3.2 64th
Eagles (Holes Per) 154.3 38th
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM

anywhere to get some decent updates? it's almost a joke on pgatour.com

tiger and ogilvy are playing together but some reason i guess ogilvy is still on the 8th hole and tiger just finished the 14th . Guess they're only tracking Tiger.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:47 PM

tdk,

Hmmmmm. This is why it sucks that this isn't a PGA Tour event - the pgatour.com leaderboard rules, with the auto-updating, the one-click for scorecard and hole info, and other good stuff. Also, the ESPN.com leaderboard kept loading crappy in Firefox and on principal I didn't try it in IE.