Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2007, 11:50 PM

Default Re: Is this stealing

[ QUOTE ]

the argument that it's not costing them anything is absurd, and it's pretty obvious why.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If you wouldn't have otherwise bought those seats, you are not stealing.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 PM

I have a better one;

Me and my 2 buds frequently go to movie theater, pay for the first show, and then watch like 3 movies total.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:51 PM

I've read none of this thread and the answer is yes. It always is with threads like these.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:52 PM

daryn,

I agree that in a somewhat abstract ethical sense it is stealing, but I think the question of whether or not it is wrong is a different question in this case. It's like asking if you and a friend are stranded in the mountains and he dies and you take his water bottle/compass, is that stealing? Well technically in the eyes of the law it may be... but does it hurt anyone? No. I don't think the individual is responsible for the marketing woes of a MLB team (being unable to sell out stadiums)... and if it is a pervasive enough problem and "everyone is doing it" then the people who really want the good seats will start buying them, etc. I agree that it is in some technical sense stealing, but I can't buy the moral high horse arguments either... not directed at you specifically as I think we tend to agree here, but just in general.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a better one;

Me and my 2 buds frequently go to movie theater, pay for the first show, and then watch like 3 movies total.

[/ QUOTE ]

You live in the us? how do you do that? in Sweden that's impossible. And how is something equally or more obvious a better one?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's obviously stealing. there's really no gray area. whether you do it or not or whether you think it's a big deal or nothing is another thing.

the argument that it's not costing them anything is absurd, and it's pretty obvious why.

would i do it? sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dayrin:

What if, in a hypothetical situation, only 2 tickets were sold. An amazing fluke, or whatever. It is the 8th inning, you move down 15 rows, b/c you say "I don't think anyone is coming".

Now, lets say you do not know that only 2 tickets were sold. However, you still see the stadium is empty. Do you still move down for the last few innings?

How is this stealing?
What is being stolen?
Old 05-23-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

And yes, it is stealing. getting something that costs more than what you paid for is stealing. Doesn't matter if there's no victims.

[/ QUOTE ]

So anytime a store sells something below MSRP then you're stealing from the store?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And yes, it is stealing. getting something that costs more than what you paid for is stealing. Doesn't matter if there's no victims.

[/ QUOTE ]

So anytime a store sells something below MSRP then you're stealing from the store?

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 05-24-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think so. If you wouldn't have otherwise bought those seats, you are not stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. that's like saying if i wouldn't have otherwise bought tickets to go see happy feet, i could sneak into the theater and have it not be stealing, assuming plenty of open seats.

it's bad logic.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not true. that's like saying if i wouldn't have otherwise bought tickets to go see happy feet, i could sneak into the theater and have it not be stealing, assuming plenty of open seats.

it's bad logic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's not stealing - you are taking a service without paying. What I am saying is it's not costing them money.