Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes

Old 06-26-2006, 06:56 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

Hi Everyone,

As some of you may know, Matt Flynn, Ed Miller, and I are in the process of writing "Small Stakes No Limit Hold 'em: Winning Big With Expert Play." It's coming along great so far, and we hope to have it out by the end of the year. We'd also love to get some feedback from the posters in this forum.

Are there any particular topics you'd like to see covered in the book? What facets of your game give you specific trouble? Feel free to elaborate about anything you always wanted to know and wish there was more literature on.

Thanks,

Sunny
Old 06-26-2006, 06:57 AM

Default Re: What would you like to see covered in the upcoming SSNL book?

I would like to read some thoughts about putting opponent on a hand [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 AM

Sunny,

Really looking forward to this. One thing that would be really great is some advice on calculating odds at the table when you're putting an opponent on a range of hands. Any quick formulas or tricks to do it in your head.

For instance, you're considering calling an all-in with TPTK and a FD on the turn. You think opponent has a set (50%) two pair (30%) or worse draw (20%).

I'd also love to see some treatment of how to play with stack sizes of various multiples of the pot - semibluffing, fold equity, strategies for getting it in, etc.

Thanks
NT
Old 06-26-2006, 07:12 AM

The turn checkraise all-in with an overpair. Its espoused by a lot of regulars but it rarely seems like a reason is given. There are a lot of different reasons for it that need to be discussed. Also giving other situations where it can be used (high underpair against habitual bluffer).

Hand reading. More specifically getting people to see if the whole "story" adds up or not.

Pot control. Teaching people why it can be important to lay off the gas at times.

The power of passivness. Against certain opponents (frequently found at these stakes), check calling can be a great way of getting money from an opponent who would have folded to a bet.

Also, how to think about starting hands. Charts are too harmful. The people need to be able see the value behind different starting hands.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:15 AM

oo i get an early post on what will probably be a popular topic.

i agree with teemuj to an extent - i think a big part of SSNL that we (or at least i) sometimes tend to forget about is reading hands and adjusting to players. obviously there are some people who play so poorly that they may surprise us with the types of hands they are holding. but basically what i'm saying is, what do we want to be thinking about when trying to put an opponent on a hand? what do we want to be thinking about when we are trying to figure out how an opponent plays? what (if any) adjustments do we need to think about making based on those reads? how much are reads even involved at the SSNL level? just some basic types of questions like that would help out some people, in my opinion.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:48 AM

Two things

1. Online SSNL is only semideep, so it is easy to get sucked in and stacked. Pot management on 100xBB tables (How to play typical hand both in and out of position)

2. And the euro crowd (at least me) is interested in how to play the daytime 'Nits everywhere' tables (I assume you will be writing about full ring NL hold'em
Old 06-26-2006, 07:55 AM

1) Cold calling vs re-raising pre flop.
2) Continuation betting HU vs a very tight PF player (can i really just check fold loads of hands to him? does this mean i should usually go for a check raise when i do like my hand?)

I have an idea of the basics, but its not something i know much about.

Edit: btw, I havent read NLTP yet (and i dont know if it covers these things).
Old 06-26-2006, 08:25 AM

I'm really looking forward to this as well. I'd really like to see a chapter on short-handed play, which, as everyone knows, is becoming *the* online game. Not to knock it, but the Small Stakes limit book was a bit lacking in this department.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM

It may be a double edged sword, but I think a section on shorthanded and heads up play would be interesting. However, this may adversely affect the shorthanded games because there's little to no information (other than 2+2) on shorthanded play.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:32 AM

Hand reading and playing vs the tighter opponents, not the good ones (TAGs) but the rocks, as Gelford said, how to play at a "daytime" table that's mostly crowded with rocks (tight passives/nits/setminers, whatever).