Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > High Stakes

Old 12-29-2005, 11:22 PM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller
Default 10/20 Commerce - top pair

villain is an old gambly dude who likes to bluff....he thought for like 2 minutes about cold-calling a raise and a reraise when he flopped a gutshot straight draw before folding and bitching about it.....I also think he thinks I'm a goofball because even though I'm playing pretty tight, I've been raising a lot preflop (basically every hand that I play) and he has not only commented on it, but one time he reraised me like $500 preflop with jacks (I had aces and the bastard not only calls my all-in but gets a chop pot when the board makes a straight).....

anyway, it's folded to villain (~$2k) on the button who makes it $100, SB folds, and I (cover) call with AQ.....

flop is A24 rainbow

I check, he bets $140, I checkraise to $400.....

now, often times I'll just check/call all the way against a guy like this because they're usually drawing slim and so I'll just let'em blow off chips......the reason I checkraised in this case was because A) I thought if he had a smaller ace (AJ, AT, A9, etc.) he'd defintely go to felt and I'd be missing a good opportunity by playing a small pot, B) there was definitely some chance he'd put me on a bluff and look me up with a pocket pair below aces, C) he wasn't all that deep, and D) I wasn't gonna give a freebee OOP to a hand with a low card (33, 55, A3, A5).......

after my checkraise, he pauses for a few seconds and raises $500 more.....I think he would've just called me down with AJ/etc. so his reraise either means that he has AK or better, or, he puts me on a pure bluff and he's trying to re-steal......he has like $1100 left......comments on everything?....
Old 12-29-2005, 11:28 PM

Default Re: 10/20 Commerce - top pair

against mr 2K i just push and get it over with, pretty easy. i like the flop checkraise.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:54 PM

coltrane,

Is he really going to fire again if you call? I think you just end up getting screwed more often by letting him see both the turn and river than the times you make money by him stone cold bluffing away the rest of his chips on the turn.

So, I just stick the rest in right there on the flop.

Also, instead of writing I (cover) call it is more badass to write something like I ($34,000) call.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:10 AM

Location: coaching poker and writing \"Professional No-Limit Hold\'em\" for Two Plus Two Publishing with Matt Flynn and Ed Miller

D, do you disagree with any of my 4 reasons for the flop checkraise?.....

PS - we should all just start including net worth into our hand histories....for example, "Villain calls and is playing $3200 behind, I call in the BB and am playing $4300 behind on the table plus $35,498 in my checking account, one rental property on the Jersey shore, and a 1956 Chevy Impalla with a rebuilt engine but ORIGINAL transmission".....
Old 12-30-2005, 12:11 AM

lets see. you are out of position and there is 30 bucks in the pot. then the button makes it 100 and you want to get 2000 in there with ace queen, first by calling then sticking the rest in with top pair.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:13 AM

Ray,

against the player I described, do you auto-fold this preflop?
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
lets see. you are out of position and there is 30 bucks in the pot. then the button makes it 100 and you want to get 2000 in there with ace queen, first by calling then sticking the rest in with top pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

ray...something tells me you haven't played the 10/20NL at the commerce in quite some time.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:16 AM

Ray: I think that is fine assuming his description of this being a guy who will go felt vs. him with Ace-rag.

coltrane: Assuming your read of this player and situation is correct, I like all four reasons.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^ I'm with Ray. Is it that out of the question that he has like AK, A4s, some people like to overplay 22, 44 any pair etc preflop because of what they see on TV.

I guess if you feel he'll give his money away to someone else first and you need to get to it now, but by the sounds of it you can find a less ambiguous spot to get all his money
Old 12-30-2005, 12:20 AM

NLfool,

The beauty of real poker is when you lose you can buy to cover!