Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:27 PM

Default Re: I wish I could

[ QUOTE ]
ok. i guess i'm trying to see how it would be if you had your way but i must be a dunce because i'm just not seeing it. thanks for trying to show me anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]\

OMG how does a bar owner know what kind of credit cards he can take??? Maybe it is fake and he won't be able to collect on it!!!
Old 11-01-2007, 11:18 PM

Default Re: I wish I could

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Get rid of Social Security. Phase it out, end it immediately somehow, whatever. I'm sick of paying for old people's expenses, and I only contribute a very small amount per year since I don't make a lot. I'm not an expert, but me and other people paying into the system should not be in danger of losing our money. The best idea here is to take out 5-7% (or whatever the % is) of everyone's pay (unless the income tax is gone as in above example), and deposit this into an individual acct. Let me pick from, say 10 (or more, or less, whatever) options, ranging from 90% stocks/10% bonds to the opposite, or something along those lines. This lets people save on their own, sure it's forced (which I'm against) but at least fix the system so people get out what they put in (and then some, with compound interest).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mike. Although Social Security may be one of the biggest blunders of the 20th century for our federal government, I don't think your solution is much better.

There are myriad problems with forcing people to save and even more problems with the government picking and choosing how and where they can save their money, but none of those are as big as the main problem: What authority does the federal government have to force you to save according to its dictates? That is an egregious violation of just about every concept of liberty held by Americans today, not to mention the framers of our consititution.

Social Security is a scam and a travesty but forced savings would only bring with it a host of new infuriating problems.

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair point, I guess my changes are what I deem realistic to see within my lifetime, or at least some steps I would like to see taken in the next 20-25 years max.