Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2007, 03:20 PM

Default Re: FAQ on WATCHES (x-post from \"I bought myself something\")

This is probably just a case of simple ignorance on my part, but my google-fu is failing me.

When purchasing a high end watch, what's the most effective way to get a fair price? Is the buyer expected to negotiate with the retailer? Should I just call around and get price quotes? For that matter, how trustworthy are internet retailers? In general they aren't (that I know of) "authorized dealers," but I'm not sure how significant that is, either.

I guess the short version of the question is, "Once I know what I want, how do I go about getting it and not get screwed in the process."
Old 10-09-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is probably just a case of simple ignorance on my part, but my google-fu is failing me.

When purchasing a high end watch, what's the most effective way to get a fair price? Is the buyer expected to negotiate with the retailer? Should I just call around and get price quotes? For that matter, how trustworthy are internet retailers? In general they aren't (that I know of) "authorized dealers," but I'm not sure how significant that is, either.

I guess the short version of the question is, "Once I know what I want, how do I go about getting it and not get screwed in the process."

[/ QUOTE ]

buy from an authorized retailer. buying online is very dangerous. ebay is incredibly easy to scam, and the only way to really tell a genuine timepeice from a replica is to open the case, at which point shady online retailers will likely tell you youve damaged the goods and they wont return it. you can sometimes negotiate a small discount, but in general the watches cost waht they cost. many companies will not even allow their watches to be sold online (see breitling).
Old 10-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Just got this TAG Aquaracer. did i make a good choice? opinions?

Old 10-09-2007, 05:26 PM

As far as clashing materials, I totally agree. So I wear a platinum wedding band do you think the Black Pasha Seatimer will clash or will a black watch go with most anything?
Also which watch do think is nicer the Seatimer i posted before or the Santos 100

Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM

Go for a Cartier Roadster with the chronograph, gogogogog

It's an awesome watch
Old 10-09-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Alain Silberstein

http://www.a-silberstein.fr/us/accueil.htm

I like this dude's designs.
Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 AM

Default Re: Alain Silberstein

[ QUOTE ]
Any other tips on the colors of the dials and what they mean? I sort of want a watch that I can wear casually and at work in a business casual setting. Which colors work best here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steggy - If you want to be safe, silver with a black dial will go with just about anything. Someone said it already but IWC is the classic watch that you can wear in any setting whether it's going to a bar with mates or dressing up black tie to go to an event. Look at some of the IWCs I've already posted for ideas. Regarding the dials, they're more of an accessory rather than something you're ever going to use practically. They are a means to time something going from point A to point B. Simple as that. They have become popular on mens watches because they add to a watch in the sense that it clearly defines it as a man's watch.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ReptileHouse - I'm not sure I'd buy from an online retailer UNLESS they were also a reputable street store such as Goldsmiths in the UK. They also are online. Anything above that, I'd be skeptical. Watch sellers can make a second hand watch look as good as new. You won't even know the difference. They'll clean the mechanics, replace the strap, and polish up all metal and sand the glass (albeit reeeeally soft grain) to get out any scratches. Breitling, on their homepage, warn people about buying online claiming that 99% of online retailers are selling 2nd hand watches etc. Obviously this could be a ploy but are you going to want to risk it when dropping thousands?

wporter - Very good choice. Like it a lot.

TRBNGR - I'll keep my response short. You will never find me buying a Cartier. Sorry. They are in the business of making jewelry, not watches. I'm afraid you won't get a great deal of credit from a real watch enthusiast or anyone who appreciates a good timepiece. Let me put it this way...when a watch enthusiast sees someone who is wearing a Cartier, they immediately think, "Ok this guy has tried to buy a nice watch thinking Cartier is up there in the watchmaker standings buuuuut, unfortunately, has lost the plot a bit".

ozora tsubasa - to each his own [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Alain Silberstein

GoldenIP,

This may be straying from your area of expertise, but I'm birthday shopping, and I'm looking for a ladies watch in the $800-$1K range. No clue where to start. Any suggestions as far as brands or anything?

30 years old, I want something silver/steel with a neutral face that could she could wear in both an office or casual setting. I'm guessing that price range will rule out diamonds and whatnot.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of Jeager-LeCoultre

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-10-2007, 01:17 PM

How did you talk about the best watchmakers in the world and not mention Vacheron Constantin?