Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Health and Fitness
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 PM

Default Re: Claim in MH

So am I looking for the same types of benefits both pre and post? I should have clarified earlier, but I wanted more of a pre/post breakdown instead of just overall recommendations. But based on what you said would the Vendetta product pre and whey protein/ milk shake and gatorade post work fine? Or just substitute the whey and gatorade all together for the Vendetta? I do sometimes feel short on energy but this may be caused from workouts being a few hours after my last meal (which is probably bad).

(As of now I only have whey protein/milk shake post, nothing at all pre, and a multivitamin once a day)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:14 PM

Nope, that's pretty much it. I go for 100% dextrose in my shakes because it's easier for me to manage; Thremp and others advocate a 1:1 dextrose to maltodextrin ratio.

If one scoop of whey is 28g of protein, you will want 56g of dextrose/malto to make a 2:1 ratio. Note that this is by nutritional value, not volume. Ask Hendricks what happens if you do two scoops of sugar for every scoop of protein.
Old 04-24-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't read MH.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll add to this;

if i had gotten the specified range of results that every supplement/idea/philosophy claimed it would produce, i would be the biggest [censored] [censored] ever.

but i'm not b/c they use baised info and bs studies.
Old 04-24-2007, 11:31 PM

Men's Health is probably the best magazine when it comes to fitness info for the regular guy. I have hardly ever picked up a useful piece of information from Flex, Muscle and Fitness, and the like, but MH is chock full of good information on health and training.

Also, MH doesn't try to sell any supplements to you like a lot of other magazines do. Keep in mind when they printed this they didn't say "On Whey Protein," merely protein shakes.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:11 AM

MH is at least fun to read if not always right-on. A lot of it is garbage, but fun garbage. I can't say the same for most muscle mags.

Also, I wanted to add something to my post above about PWO shakes: it's okay and possibly even preferable to substitute some amount of dextrose/malto with oats.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:32 AM

skunk,

Its a good bit better than oats.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:13 AM

Your both right...a mix of slow and fast carbs is best for post-workout.

Carbohydrates are broken down into their simplest form to pass through the intestines. They enter cells througg active transport. This process is limited, only a certain amount of glucose can enter the cell at once. So just pouring glucose isn't the best idea...the idea should be to have a steady supply of carbs to the muscles.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:36 AM

The one problem I have with PWO simple sugars is that they're totally void of any micronutritional value. If you want to eat some fruit and add some oats to your PWO shake, [censored], go for it. You may not get as overpowering a surge of insulin, but it's made up in other health benefits. I'm also pretty sure it won't greatly affect the restoration of glycogen.

The meal(s) you have in the 2-3 hour period afterwards are pretty important too.

You is a nit.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The one problem I have with PWO simple sugars is that they're totally void of any micronutritional value. If you want to eat some fruit and add some oats to your PWO shake, [censored], go for it. You may not get as overpowering a surge of insulin, but it's made up in other health benefits. I'm also pretty sure it won't greatly affect the restoration of glycogen.

The meal(s) you have in the 2-3 hour period afterwards are pretty important too.

You is a nit.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you are blunting the effects of what you are suppose to do. Almost all protocols recommend a real meal within 90 minutes of your last set. You don't wanna mix the two.

If you are going to mix them, don't even eff around with stuff that tastes horrible and just eat a regular meal.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a ton has been written on pre/post workout nutrition and a lot of people think that this is these are the most important meals of the day...

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
optimal nutrition pre, during, and after workout will yield almost steroid-like effects to someone who hasn't been doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is it pretty much universally agreed that pre/post workout nutrition is hugely important and I'm a chump for not really taking it seriously? Usually I just make sure to eat something, often some milk with whey and a glass of juice or maybe a bowl of cereal. How much is it hurting me to not have the perfect shake with optimal ratios of hydrolyzed whey and dextrose etc? Also, is there a difference in ideal nutrition for a weight workout vs HIIT vs steady cardio?