Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:48 PM

Default Re: citanul cleaning bbv/b4l discussion/rants

[ QUOTE ]

The problem at hand is that anything funny can usually be constued as offensive. Thus, this conversation will be locked, not resolved.

-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a brilliant post and what I've been getting at. I couldn't have put it better.

Someone is always the butt of the jokes and that someone usually doesn't like it.

[ QUOTE ]

Racial, sexual and religious epithets are ridiculously stupid. Why the hell is there such a fight over it? I've yet to see one halfway decent argument for why the elimination of n bombs is a bad thing. The basic arguments that are being used by posters here are "i wanna be able to tell people to die in a fire and drop nbombs, this sux."

"I HAS A GIMMICK. NOOOOOO, THEY BE STEALIN MY GIMMICK"

[/ QUOTE ]

Your dead on. But, censorship always walks a fine line and certainly always should be kept in check just as much as the censored. Hence the outrage.

[ QUOTE ]
What is wrong with retarded?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've just spent quite a while trying to work out this exact same thing. It's a word I use a great deal and can't believe it's being banned.

People will just say idiotic or moronic instead, or are they banned too?
Old 02-22-2007, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

feel free to post 57 more times to clarify!

[/ QUOTE ]

After reading that I was seriously thinking about posting 57 more times just to be a PITA. But I won't, for now.

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

this day, Thursday, February 22, 2007, will forever live in infamy as the day bbv died.

[ QUOTE ]
Teetster,

We are attempting to remove real racism and play racism both. Just because you think that something has become everyday vernacular doesn't mean that it has. Just because you think that "nigga plz" isn't racist doesn't mean that it is. Further, promoting the widespread use of such epithets undermines the arguments against real racists.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is logic is pretty tenuous. I would be interested to hear you elaborate on how widespread use of the term "nigga" promotes a racist agenda. I suppose there could be some argument made that it essentializes the more urban aspects of african-american culture, but given that in fact many people of color have self-embraced this image as their own, i think its fairly presumptive to assume that we should go around making pronouncements on what is "good" and "bad" for "thier" struggle.

In addition, im certain that you are well aware of the deconstructionist implications for the widespread (especially if amongst 20-something white boys) usage and self-application of the word nigga. The original term was a way for those of one skin color to highlight and essentialize the physical difference between themselves and the Other, and to reify the implicit assumptions that those who were "[censored]" were inferior to those who were not, and to justify the various forms of social stratification that were present. How does the term NIGGA becoming more accepted as an image of merely "my fellow man" do anything BUT attack the power structure created by the ideas of black/white difference?

[ QUOTE ]

I am personally not very willing to negotiate on the "gay/ghey" stance, just as I'm not willing to negotiate on the racism stance, though I can continue to attempt to clarify.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is fair enough i suppose. Utilizing the term "gay" as a negative adjective, while not neccesarily homophobic, does denote a certain uncomfortableness with the gay lifestyle, and by all means, it is our job to go out and make sure that everyone views men [censored] other men in the ass as a positive thing. (personally, im in favor of it, the more gays there are, the less competition for me, and besides, most gay people are really really fun to be around, and not really stuffy or smug, unlike some heterosexual people i could name) In the end, given that i agree with the idea that homosexuals should be treated no different than anyone else, i suppose i must bow to your wishes in this respect, but i will probably still be banned at least twice for calling something gay.

[ QUOTE ]

On the "retarded" stance, there is ongoing discussion of whether or not my stance is reasonable considering that many actually mean "impaired learning or comprehension abilities" when they say retarded.

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so utterly pc it makes me hate you. Given that most retarded people arent even referred to as retards anymore, and have thier own distinct name for whatever disorder makes them special, i seriously seriously want to... nm. This part is pretty retarded.

To those who are saying "be more creative than saying retarded":

FU.

Between the nine hours a day i spend in irc listening to cardo talk about being homeless and the 12 hours listening to my gf talk about why,,,well, whatever she talks about, i dont have time to write disertations on why what someone said is beyond stupid. Hence, "You are retarded"

Would it make you feel better if we started saying "you may be retarded" since we would no longer be equating stupidity with retardation, but instead merely suggesting that the subject might, in fact, suffer from some mental disability?

peace

john nickle

GA: In the ATF thread, you seem to be suggesting that we should be banning real racists, but that hilarious fake racism should remain. If outlawing racist terms = bad, what justifies getting rid of the real racists (presuming you can identify them.)
Old 02-22-2007, 05:54 PM

Humor always comes at the expense of someone.

Apparently we have offended 'someone'.

For shame, for shame.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:57 PM

OSU: First, nobody, repeat NOBODY was dropping n-bomb to actually mean "Black People". 100% of the time it was being used to mean, "my friend" in the hiphop slangy way. Maybe you knew that, not sure if it changes anything.

Also, anarchy is what we used to have, and it worked fine. Maybe that's impossible now. I guess our main disagreement is that I think BBV is funny and you do not. I guess I'm just saying that Cit also has no sense of humor, or at least a not very well developed one, and will guess wrong about what is good or offensive.

The argument that we can just 'find something more creative to say' is not a good one. Anything can be funny given the right context, and in my opinion BBV was hardly ever bad at at that. Sometimes trolls appeared and were deliberately offensive rather than funny, but they got banned, or better, berated.

The issue is not : OH NO THEY BE TAKING MY GIMMICK. When arbitrary rules go up about what you can or cannot say they become the focus, rather than the content of the forum (cf this bloody long and idiotic thread that I am chowmeowing in...). The feeling that you have to watch what you say limits teh funny.

K, I'm done, gotta work, plz own me with the last word.
--GA
Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 PM

Citanul:

Can we still call people "morans"? I mean, there might be implications of retardedness, but it's possible that we might be making fun of people from Moran, Wyoming or it might have to do with the complete inability to spell. Neither group is a protected class. Or is that not okay? How about retarted? Or one of the fifty synonyms for "retarded" that aren't actually "retarded"?

Seriously, the biggest problem with this whole policy is that it's entirely subjective. Not everyone agrees exactly what is racist and what isn't. I'll give you credit for removing *some* of the uncertainty -- specific 'magic words' that'll result in a ban.

I can't say that I care all that much, even though I'll probably get banned at some point for carelessly referring to something as 'retarted' or 'ghhey'. I have to admit, though -- I have enjoyed the challenge of having to reword the request that someone die in a fire to comply with official 2+2 policy.

And what about the "O RRY?" owl? Bannable offense?
Closed Thread