Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2006, 11:57 AM

Default Re: when to use the semi-bluff

[ QUOTE ]
So it's only a semi-bluff if you're behind?

[/ QUOTE ]Correct.

[ QUOTE ]
I know this is symantics of labeling a "bet" but I've NEVER heard of value betting a non-made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]Usually drawing hands are only ever going to be marginally ahead on the flop, and hardly ever is a drawing hand going to be ahead on the turn. So unless you are planning on getting it all in on the flop, you have to be careful about "value betting" a draw because you might not get to see the river. However, if I think I'm ahead in a draw on the flop and my opponent indicates a willingness to get it all in, it's good to know when you're ahead of villan's range, even if you only have a draw. And value betting the flop even when you're not sure you can call the turn still has value in making a big pot for a big potential hand, which your opponent will be tied to and will likely pay off if you hit.

Slightly OT:
I do remember a hand in 7 card stud where I had a killer draw on 4th street (3 card straight, 4 card flush, and an ace), so I capped it. I managed to hit my straight on the river and he went absolutely ballistic: "You capped it with NOTHING!" Guess that I backdoored it even made it worse, never mind my other draws. Ah well, gotta love poker.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well - it's not a made hand, is it?

[/ QUOTE ]To be fair, AK has showdown value unimproved. I'm not sure I would consider this betting a draw.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:00 PM

You labeled a post flop drawing hand bet as a value bet and with that I disagee. It's a semi-bluff as the op said and as defined in HOH II p26 and ToP p91.

As for raising AK pre-flop, it can't be a semi-bluff since that's a post-flop move.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You labeled a post flop drawing hand bet as a value bet and with that I disagee. It's a semi-bluff as the op said and as defined in HOH II p26 and ToP p91.

As for raising AK pre-flop, it can't be a semi-bluff since that's a post-flop move.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a draw comes in 60% of the time, then it is a value bet no matter whether you are currently behind.

Look at it the other way...say you check and villain pushes giving you 2:1 you probably have to call. SO, push it in the first place, he might fold and you win anyway.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You labeled a post flop drawing hand bet as a value bet

[/ QUOTE ]Not ANY draw- just a hand that is stastically favored to win.

[ QUOTE ]
It's a semi-bluff as the op said and as defined in HOH II p26 and ToP p91.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't have ToP with me right now, but re-reading HoH II and I don't see anything about drawing when you are stastically ahead. The discussion is about being most likely behind but pushing anyway because you have FE and that makes the move profitable.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call a bet a bluff if my hand is highly unlikely to win a showdown, a semi-bluff if my hand has outs to improve to a winner but needs FE to make the bet +EV and a value bet if my hand figures to be a favorite to win the pot at the showdown.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I call a bet a bluff if my hand is highly unlikely to win a showdown, a semi-bluff if my hand has outs to improve to a winner but needs FE to make the bet +EV and a value bet if my hand figures to be a favorite to win the pot at the showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then we're kosher, it's not as bad as canadian bacon and ham [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-05-2006, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How is betting a draw, a value bet

[/ QUOTE ]When you are the favorite to win the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

So it's only a semi-bluff if you're behind? I know this is symantics of labeling a "bet" but I've NEVER heard of value betting a non-made hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

An example. We hold 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and villain has A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

We are 56% to win the hand. We are favourite with K high V AA.

FWIW, even if the flop is 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] we are still only a 42% dog even though we only have ace high and villain has a set of aces with only two cards to fall.

There was a bitter debate about this a few months back, what constitutes the 'better hand'.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:48 PM

I haven't yet seen a book that's properly addressed super-draws. (>11 outs) In my mind it makes much more sense to think of these as very strong made hands on the flop. Never fold, don't call unless it puts you all-in. Raise and keep raising, like you'd do with a set.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't yet seen a book that's properly addressed super-draws. (>11 outs) In my mind it makes much more sense to think of these as very strong made hands on the flop. Never fold, don't call unless it puts you all-in. Raise and keep raising, like you'd do with a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Gordon's Little Green Book talks about these.