Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2006, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Please cure my friend.

[ QUOTE ]
the only reason i think this is correct is beacuse doubling up isnt enough here. i need more chips to have any chance at placing.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine, limping to induce more action and increase your chances of a triple/quad up is cool...but I don't think you should be folding on any flop, even when an ace shows up. If you weren't BB/SB next two hands, then maybe you can fold the flop, but you're about to risk half your remaining tiny stack with 2 random hands. Wouldn't you rather take the chance that the guy who bet the flop sucks at poker and is betting with something worse than an ace?
Old 08-31-2006, 04:43 PM

i guess you are right. i will admit folding the flop is terrible. therefore that makes the whole play terrible. but if an ace didnt flop it would of been a sexy play and GIMME THE LOOT would be idolizing me.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i guess you are right. i will admit folding the flop is terrible. therefore that makes the whole play terrible. but if an ace didnt flop it would of been a sexy play and GIMME THE LOOT would be idolizing me.

[/ QUOTE ]

don't get me wrong, i still think pushing preflop is better, ESPECIALLY if you've pushed preflop a few times before. but, basically, you took the worst possible line other than something that would have involved folding preflop in some fashion.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:45 PM

I think both the preflop limp is marginally bad and the post-flop check-fold is somewhere between marginally bad and marginally good. Not sure this hand is really all that exciting unless hero does something awful like fold PF or fold on a 567 flop.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:46 PM

KK pf limp or 83 turbo call....worse play? You decide. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2006, 04:54 PM

With blinds at 4/8 and a limp, the only way the pot is at 2400 is with all folds, a SB limp and a BB check.

If the table is that friggin' weak-tight, then slow-playing pocket Kings preflop from EP is ludicrous.

And if he is that weak tight, then he should expect to get pushed around by players on his right all friggin' night long.

With only 4xBB left and a long way to go to serious money, he is cheating himself by not trying to build a nice pot with hopes that his Kings hold up. Worse, he's giving the whole table a cheap shot to outdraw his Cowboys.

If he raises and everyone folds, that's too bad, but he has taken down 33% of his stack without a challenge. It's hard to find fault with that.
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The only argument for limping in the first place is to try to get the other players to put more money into the pot while you have the 2nd best starting hand possible. This isn't a horrible plan. But, it means that you have to be willing to put the rest of your money in no matter what happens. The whole point of this move is to maximaize the pot size. It inherently increases the risk of losing the hand, but that is not your concern (or at least shouldn't be) when making this move. If you are making this move, you should be trying to double or triple up with the understanding that you may bust out in your attempt.

FWIW, I don't make this move in general, but I see people do it with success (many times against me when I push overtop of their pansy limp).
Old 08-31-2006, 04:56 PM

Limping in this spot is an atrocity on par with the actions of the Khmer Rouge
Old 08-31-2006, 05:27 PM

Seems to me you are outhinking yourself here in the hopes of 4X your stack.

If you get two or three limpers that then call this mythical 2K stab at the pot because they now caught a piece of the flop you will lose more times then win.

Why? Because it is more likely that the board pairs their mid or top pair or they catch their two pair or straight draw then it is that you catch the K.

Premium hands you want less players in not more, it is the suited connectors and flopped sets that you want the more the merriers in.

You have to raise that preflop once others have come in the water, make them pay or use the FE to take it down there.
Old 08-31-2006, 06:38 PM

I don't think this play is terrible in general. I DO think it is terrible in this situation.

If you are deep stacked and don't mind mucking your kings on the flop when an ace comes, so be it.

When you only have 4xBB left though, people are probably going to come along with then hands you want them to anyway.

Also, taking down the blinds along with whoever calls you isn't so bad...you'll almost have a stack you can push with and get people to fold.