Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Default Is it bad luck to wish someone gl?

(btw: apolgies for posting this before in the wrong forum....)

Recently, I had an odd interaction and wonder if I have broken some sort of "rule" that I shouldn't have...
Background: My man is a well-respected online player. He has quite a few pals who are online players, too. I have known them all for a while - under a year- but we all get along well. They are all nice and (seem to) like me.
Setup: While my guy was out of the room, one of his buddies also excused himself from the room (leaving me and another couple there). He said he was going to go put in a session. I looked at him and said "Hey, _____, Good Luck at the tables!" He did a sort of double-take, came back toward me, leaned in and said "It's not cool to wish 'good luck' to me when I'm going to play." My reaction was apologetic but a bit smiling and he repeated "No, really, it's not good." I stopped smiling, said "okay" or some cop-out like that, then went back to waiting for my bf to return. Other couple (one of who also is an online player) didn't see or hear as they were talking with music on in bg - so no one to reassure or chastize me. I said nothing to my bf as he doesn't believe in luck (really he doesn't need to... but that's a brag for him to make).
Result: I feel a bit like a jerk and/or ignoramus.
QUESTIONS:
1) Is it unlucky to wish someone luck?
1a) Is it unlucky to poker players to wish them luck?
1b) Is it unlucky to online poker players to wish them luck (they always do that "gl" thing)?
2) If it is unlucky to wish a poker player luck, is there another response other than "Have a nice session" or .... or is that appropriate?

Thank you for your generous consideration; btw if this is anyone's 2nd time reading this post, thank you for not beating on me to hard for misposting it before.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:39 PM

Default Re: Is it bad luck to wish someone gl?

I hate but heads who get all rude about miss posting, there just like the retard who got his diaper all in bunch for saying good luck. I would never let him leave my sight with out saying goodluck first.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 AM

Can we beat on you for posting it again here after it has already been moved here?
Old 05-30-2007, 02:28 PM

That seems like a really abnormal response to someone saying "good luck."

In this particular case a better sentiment would have been "Go lose it all, douchebag."
Old 05-30-2007, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That seems like a really abnormal response to someone saying "good luck."

In this particular case a better sentiment would have been "Go lose it all, douchebag."

[/ QUOTE ]

This bears repeating too! I LIKE IT [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Closed Thread