Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: Fustrated, Tired, Hungry and Numb - 5hrs of poker

[img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] okay lol I didn't think 5 hours was a short session... clearly you have put in some major play time. I also have no idea how many hands I have played thus far because I don't have my full version of PT yet.

I am taking poker very seriously, in fact, and I am reading and posting my hands on the forum to get feedback and try to improve my game, so I do enjoy poker very much. I want to be very good at it. I guess I just still haven't adjusted to the commiment it takes. I guess it is similar to being an athlete ... just didn't know that sitting on your butt could be so hard lol.

I didn't fully realize how hard it was until now, and I will take the suggestion made earlier to try and take breaks and plan out my time and set goals for myself.

I don't have any structure to my time. It seems like it would help.

What type of structure do you use with your time?
Do you plan what times you will be on? when you eat? sleep? monetary goals? Those sorts of things..
Old 09-20-2007, 12:51 PM

I'm a poker newbie too, but I still have something useful to say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most people think of "random" as a pattern like this:
x o xx o xx ooo x oo x ooo xx o xx oo x ooo
But that is way too uniform. Real "random" is more like this:
xxxxx o xxx ooo x o x oo xxxxxxxx oo x o x o x o xx o

(Btw, I am a very hug and kissable person)
So when you go into winning/losing/break-even streaks, you must rememeber that it might last a long time and it wouldn't be anything unusual.

Just be happy you're in a break-even streak now. Wait'll you get to losing streak... you'll have some fun with that. (We'll be here for ya)

xoxo
Old 09-20-2007, 12:59 PM

PS... I've been playing/studying intensely for the past few months. I was winning a lot at the beginning. I knew I was a natural. I could be a pro within 6 months!

Then I read a lot of books. And over the course of 3 months... lost a lot more than I had won at the beginning. Which brought me back to reality. Heh.

Now I'm winning again (sit-and-gos mostly) and I feel like I'm starting to "adjust to the commitment it takes." And I feel like a stronger player. I'm getting glimpses of understanding exactly what's going on at my table.

It's a great feeling.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:10 PM

A lot of regulars put in 8-10 hours a day multi-tabling as a job.

A poker session starts to get "long" after about 12 hours. Most players have stories about playing for a day or more straight. My longest was only about 12 hours.

The main thing is to play an amount that you are comfortable with. If you're tired and making bad decisions after 4 hours, then play in 4-hour sessions.

Try to plan to play when there are the most players on-line so there will be action with many average and below average players in addition to the regular low-stakes grinders.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 PM

The numb butt thing - buy a decent chair. If you're investing the time, invest in your comfort.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am not trying to be a poker "brat" here, but I am starting to get a little fustrated. The last three nights i have been virutally breaking even... which is fine ! Certainly better than losing! BUT.. since I am still a newbie to cash poker, I didn't anticipate the time and emotion that I would be investing into the game of poker.

When I was playing for play money I would come on play for an hour maybe 2 hours and go, and that was that. But now I find myself on for hours ( like most serious online players.

The point of this post is this : How can I learn to cope with the grind? When I am winning big, the hours fly by and the numbness in my rear doesn't seem to bother me, but when my stack stays virtually the same or does this little roller coaster action of up one minute and down the next, I feel a little fustrated, tired, forget to eat so I am hungry, and my butt goes numb. Even though I try and move around a bit and get the blood flow going, I am just not used to so many hours sitting.

Help!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey don't you play on full tilt? I remember playing PLO with you I think. Poker can either be fun or a grind, you determine which one. I tend to play for fun so I like to hit the big tournaments on stars, it's more exciting playing for big money IMO. If you're going to grind out cash games you have to be VERY patient and level headed or you are going to hate it. BTW you're a pretty solid player, Idef recommend sticking with it I rated you as one of the better players I encountered. Just concentrate and you will get used to it.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The numb butt thing - buy a decent chair. If you're investing the time, invest in your comfort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously. It's important for your health.
I also bought one of these after having severe wrist pains:

http://www.evoluent.com/vmouse2.html

Cured me after a couple months.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey don't you play on full tilt? I remember playing PLO with you I think. Poker can either be fun or a grind, you determine which one. I tend to play for fun so I like to hit the big tournaments on stars, it's more exciting playing for big money IMO. If you're going to grind out cash games you have to be VERY patient and level headed or you are going to hate it. BTW you're a pretty solid player, Idef recommend sticking with it I rated you as one of the better players I encountered. Just concentrate and you will get used to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a very nice compliment I appreciate it. TY
Old 09-20-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a poker newbie too, but I still have something useful to say. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Most people think of "random" as a pattern like this:
x o xx o xx ooo x oo x ooo xx o xx oo x ooo
But that is way too uniform. Real "random" is more like this:
xxxxx o xxx ooo x o x oo xxxxxxxx oo x o x o x o xx o

(Btw, I am a very hug and kissable person)
So when you go into winning/losing/break-even streaks, you must rememeber that it might last a long time and it wouldn't be anything unusual.

Just be happy you're in a break-even streak now. Wait'll you get to losing streak... you'll have some fun with that. (We'll be here for ya)

xoxo

[/ QUOTE ]

lol good point about randomness.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:52 PM

I also play on FTP and part of what helps me keep with the grind and not go crazy is rakeback and accumulating FTP points and ironman medals. Set a goal of trying to get enough points for an item in the FTP store like one of the plasma tv's so that will keep you motivated when running break even or worse. I had a 40k hand breakeven stretch a little while ago which drove me crazy but I was able to stay cool and get through it.