Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games

Old 11-10-2007, 09:43 PM

Default Re: Rock Band

My local Best Buy has a kiosk with the Rock Band demo. They have the guitar, drums, and mic. YMMV

I only tried the drums. There was no bass drum pedal, so I was only able to use the sticks. Hard difficulty level was pretty good. The confusing part (for me) was that, on a song that I knew (Tom Sawyer), I was throwing fills I knew were in the song, but they weren't on the chart. Ended up failing the song when I got the sticks, which were corded to the display, tangled up.

I tried Should I Stay or Should I Go on expert level. The chart was very faithful to the actual drum chart, actually a little bit harder than the actual chart, but not too much harder.

The biggest problem--they are loud! If you've ever played on a practice pad, that's how loud these drums are. And since I have a tendency to hit drums hard, I was creating a lot of noise.

Still a very cool game. I probably won't get it for noise reasons. But I want to.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The biggest problem--they are loud! If you've ever played on a practice pad, that's how loud these drums are. And since I have a tendency to hit drums hard, I was creating a lot of noise.

Still a very cool game. I probably won't get it for noise reasons. But I want to.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are telling me I'm going to get evicted?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The manufacturer says that if you can beat the drums at expert you can play the instrument. I kinda believe that its true to a large extent. 4 drum pads and a pedal.

You guys are lucky that you're young and can jam with your friends on this. At 38, none of my friends play this stuff. Maybe I will be able to form an online band or whatever.

Okay, after 5 days with GH2, I am up to beating the battle of the bands on hard. Like they say on South Park, I guess I am now immortal, since "How do you kill that which has no life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'm 30 and happy to see that I am the 2nd oldest person playing this series instead of the oldest as previously hypothesized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 36, so you're only the 3rd oldest. But some older people do play it.

The other day, I was in Best Buy and some guy who had to be in his 40s was playing the demo version of GH2. And he obviously plays it regularly, because he 5-starred Sweet Child on Expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

31 here....geezer band FTW anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are telling me I'm going to get evicted?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not loud enough to get you evicted. Almost certainly loud enough to get my wife pissed off at me for playing it. Also, I was probably hitting the drums way harder than I needed to be. I would guess that, with practice, I could hit a lot softer.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The manufacturer says that if you can beat the drums at expert you can play the instrument. I kinda believe that its true to a large extent. 4 drum pads and a pedal.

You guys are lucky that you're young and can jam with your friends on this. At 38, none of my friends play this stuff. Maybe I will be able to form an online band or whatever.

Okay, after 5 days with GH2, I am up to beating the battle of the bands on hard. Like they say on South Park, I guess I am now immortal, since "How do you kill that which has no life?"

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I'm 30 and happy to see that I am the 2nd oldest person playing this series instead of the oldest as previously hypothesized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 36, so you're only the 3rd oldest. But some older people do play it.

The other day, I was in Best Buy and some guy who had to be in his 40s was playing the demo version of GH2. And he obviously plays it regularly, because he 5-starred Sweet Child on Expert.

[/ QUOTE ]

31 here....geezer band FTW anyone? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll be 38 in 3 months, so there!

If you haven't pre-ordered already, you better get on it. Every place around here has their pre-orders sold out, which means I am [censored]. Fry's said I could call in the day it releases and reserve a copy, so I may try that. If I miss out there, I will have to get it online and pay $50 for overnight shipping (gotta have it before the 4 day Thanksgiving weekend!!).

Can't wait. This game is going to be so damned much fun.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:55 PM

Par,

Amazon Prime FTW! I preordered through there, although I'm concerned they won't be able to fullfil all of them right away.

And man, you are old! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 08:39 PM

What's the release date and price on this thing? I saw a guy playing the drums at Best Buy today and the game looked like fun. I took a look at the guitar and it's got 10 fret buttons, 5 at the top of the neck and 5 at the bottom. This will be considerably harder than Gh3 I think.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's the release date and price on this thing? I saw a guy playing the drums at Best Buy today and the game looked like fun. I took a look at the guitar and it's got 10 fret buttons, 5 at the top of the neck and 5 at the bottom. This will be considerably harder than Gh3 I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

the bottom 5 are for solos

watch some live rock songs on youtube and see where they are playing during solos
Old 11-12-2007, 11:02 PM

Tried the guitar at Best Buy today. Very nice hardware. Better than the SG and the Explorer and the Les Paul. The note chart for Tom Sawyer on Medium was ridiculously easy, though.

This Best Buy had no drum sticks. The drums are nearly impossible to play with your hands, at least on Expert.
Old 11-13-2007, 03:18 AM

can't waittttt for the drums