Raise 2 4.88%
Call 19 46.34%
Fold 20 48.78%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: The \"Halloween is ridiculous thread\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, because you should be the one to decide this. Guess what, plenty of kids can eat a 100 lbs of candy on Halloween and still not get fat. It isn't about the candy, it is about you hating on something that is so harmless. That is why people mention the candy, because you're making a giant bitching thread about a holiday that is basically all about people having fun and getting free stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

The effect candy has on kids has really not a lot to do w/ a kid getting fat. We can turn this into a nutritional thread if you would like b/c that is an area I have studied but just understand that your post was way off base and you are looking at the effects of candy incorrectly. Anyway, this thread isn't about high GI food and its effects--it is about Halloween!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Ser William. You're just hating on this holiday for no real reason other than you're being a grouch. I don't get it. Who cares if Targets or Wal-Marts start selling Halloween merchandise on the 4th of September? Why does this bother you? If people want to celebrate a holiday and it makes them happy, then they should.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:31 PM

Just got back from an hour-plus at my friend's house. Had a really good time. Definitely the kids are younger than I expected and thus many did require parental supervision. I remember going trick-or-treating until I was nearly in high school. It seems like the average age out there tonight was 5-6 years old. Maybe it's just not "cool" anymore?

Most at least wore costumes. One did not. My buddies wife asked him what he was, he said "a soccer player". She then asked the kid where his kneepads were and he had no answer for that. But most of them were wearing nice costumes and seemed into the spirit, most were really polite (I think it's pretty cool when they're all about the "please" and the "thank you" and the "happy halloween" and sometimes even sticking around to converse rather than having to hurry off to the next house). One little kid wearing a NASCAR outfit biffed in my buddy's driveway but he got up and gathered his candy and seemed to make it out of there OK.

Also, things were definitely thinning out at 8PM again. Man, we used to stay out much later than that. I also thought it was funny how many parents were boozing, generally either a glass of wine or a cocktail. One guy had a 40 oz in a paper bag. I would have taken some pics but I didn't want parents to freak out and think I'm a pederast or something. Spider Man was definitely the most popular costume.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM

bebe,

[ QUOTE ]
You're just hating on this holiday for no real reason other than you're being a grouch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should this really be directed at me? I guess, I mean I started this thread but I am hardly the only one taking this stance within this thread.

I also never said people shouldn't celebrate, they can do whatever they want. The Da Vinci Code is a [censored] book but that didn't stop it from being a best selling book and breaking records, just b/c I realize it is no more than an airplane read doesn't mean that some knotheads are claiming that it changed the way they look at literature. Am I a grouch b/c I can't stand Dan Brown and millions love him? I let them be, when someone brings up that crap book mentioning how it is their favorite, I don't say anything--they can be happy in their own little bubble, this is fine.

Same thing w/ Halloween, I am not a grouch b/c I think the holiday has lost everything that it once was. We all aren't going to like the same stuff, notice that all I did was say that Halloween was ridiculous and then I was the one that was called names for it. Maybe some of you Halloween lovers should be the ones to relax a little, do you guys own shares of Halloween on the DOW or something?
Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 PM

tuq,

I saw 4 Spider-Man costumes and 2 Venom. Definitely more than anything else. Well 2 of the Spider-Men were twins but that still counts.

Princess was the next most.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Same thing w/ Halloween, I am not a grouch b/c I think the holiday has lost everything that it once was.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I mean, cmon. All that Halloween ever was? Good grief. Unless you really are in touch with your puritanical roots, I think we can drop the charade that Halloween ever meant anything more than a good party and some kids getting free stuff (candy, nuts, straw dolls, whatever).

In reality this thread quickly became a platform for you to tell us how great you are. Congrats! I don't even like Halloween all that much, but I just think people find the dumbest things to complain about.
Old 10-31-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Same thing w/ Halloween, I am not a grouch b/c I think the holiday has lost everything that it once was. We all aren't going to like the same stuff, notice that all I did was say that Halloween was ridiculous and then I was the one that was called names for it. Maybe some of you Halloween lovers should be the ones to relax a little, do you guys own shares of Halloween on the DOW or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously, if you think a particular holiday is dumb and overrated, you must therefore be a miserable old fart who does nothing but yell at kids to get off his lawn all day.

This is the same line of thinking used by everyone who thinks lame things are awesome, from painting their chest at a football game, to standing in Times Square and watching a ball slide down a pole.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think we can drop the charade that Halloween ever meant anything more than a good party and some kids getting free stuff (candy, nuts, straw dolls, whatever).

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you live in some Norman Rockwell town from the 50s where no one vandalizes cars, lobs eggs at houses, urinates in the street, or shoots people with paintballs on Halloween? If so I'd like to send some of the sullen disaffected teens from my neighborhood over there next year.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you live in some Norman Rockwell town from the 50s where no one vandalizes cars, lobs eggs at houses, urinates in the street, or shoots people with paintballs on Halloween? If so I'd like to send some of the sullen disaffected teens from my neighborhood over there next year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in the suburbs and did half that stuff growing up. Grow a pair? You make it sound like World War III out there. Hope you got in your bomb shelter tonight and waited out the nuclear egg bomb fallout...
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I lived in the suburbs and did half that stuff growing up. Grow a pair? You make it sound like World War III out there. Hope you got in your bomb shelter tonight and waited out the nuclear egg bomb fallout...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-01-2007, 12:08 AM

Ser William-

[ QUOTE ]
In reality this thread quickly became a platform for you to tell us how great you are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually no. If I am being attacked am I supposed to just go away and not defend myself? All I ever did was defend myself in this thread, I never used this thread to talk about myself--others attacked me personally making false assumptions and all I did was correct them. This is fact, go through the thread.

Revots-

Please read my post at the end of page 1. If you don't understand it please re-read it again if you need to b/c if you have read it you don't understand it judging from your "yelling at kids to get of his lawn" comment, but most likely you didn't read it.

Yea, most lame things that are thought of as awesome are just that--lame. I don't go around complaining about the guy painting himself into a Bengal for the Cincy game nor do I tell him he looks dumb. Nobody is making money off of him.

Some of you keep talking about issues that I don't have a problem w/. Kids being the biggest non-issue of Halloween.