Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2007, 04:51 AM

Default NL6 - About hand reading and calling shove

Villain is a 38/5/3.5 kind of player (but on a small sample).
I was multitabling so I did an evident mistake on the turn not 3-betting: preflop I put my opponent on an hand range like 22+,89s+,TJo+,Ax.
When he lead on the flop I know he got some piece of it so I just flat call: on the turn I flat called and this is a big mistake because I didn't build a pot to make a big raise on the river with a big hand.
Anyway when he shoved on the river I put him too on a made hand: why shove instead of just raise to take the pot?
Thoughts?

Cryptologic
No Limit Holdem Ring game
Blinds: $0.03/$0.06
6 players
Converter

Stack sizes:
UTG: $8.54
UTG+1: $3.62
CO: $1.65
Button: $5.67
SB: $9.02
Hero: $6.74

Pre-flop: (6 players) Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
4 folds, SB calls, Hero checks.

Flop: T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ($0.12, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.12</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ($0.36, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.24</font>, Hero calls.

River: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ($0.84, 2 players)
<font color="#cc0000">SB bets $0.24</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $0.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises to $1.2</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero raises to $2.64</font>, <font color="#cc0000">SB raises all-in $8.6</font>, <font color="#cc0000">Hero calls all-in $4.28</font>.
Uncalled bets: $1.68 returned to SB.

Results:
Final pot: $14.68
Old 11-23-2007, 07:18 AM

Default Re: NL6 - About hand reading and calling shove

Yikes, well you got it all in by the end I suppose, which should be your aim on the flop. Looks like you slowplayed yourself into trouble though
Raise flop, raise turn if he caught anything he will stay around. The way you played it the only way it ends up a big pot is when you end up behind
Old 11-23-2007, 08:01 AM

Raise the flop. If he has an ace he's calling you and if he doesn't he'll probably check/fold the turn so you're not getting more value if he's bluffing. This is a great flop for you to build the pot with your set.

I don't really understand your question about villain's play on the river. If he was bluffing the whole way in that goofy min raise battle then I guess your plan worked, but i would raise his river bet a lot more than you did - say $1.10 to $1.50 - and shove over any raise or call an all-in. If he just calls your tiny raise with an A or a T then you lost a lot of value.
Old 11-23-2007, 09:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't really understand your question about villain's play on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean that when someone make a move like the one the Villain did, this mean that he probably has something: you are right when you say that rising such a hand on the beginning is a good way to proceed. Thanks for your answer.