Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2007, 03:31 AM

Default Things it took me a while to learn part 6, Strategy and Mentality Lies

I regret to inform you that you’ve been lied to, a whole hell of a lot. Actually, I’m not sure if lie is the right word, but misinformed almost certainly. Here’s the truth; many of the common tournament concepts, strategies, and mentalities written about are [censored] awful. This garbage is so permeated in the poker society that those who don’t spend their life online or get a very good mentor will likely remain in ignorance. So allow me here, to dispel some of the biggest lies you’ve been told.

1. “You can find a better spot”: What? What the [censored]? Listen, any spot that’s good, by which I mean ANY SPOT THAT IS +EV/+cEV is a spot you should take. Now, are there occasionally spots that are +cEV but you should fold because their –EV? Yes. An obvious example is folding AA in a satellite where you have a seat guaranteed. Want a better example than something this simple? Okay here’s one:
I recently played a live 3k event in Melbourne with ~440 entrants. The structure was very deep, very slow, and had high antes. 40% of the field was freeroll qualifiers and probably less than dozen players in the whole field were actually good tournament players. If I was BB the very first hand with a 20k bank at 50/100 with 22, and it folds to the SB who shoves his whole 20k then flips up AKs, I would fold. However, it really does take an example that extreme to make me consider passing up a +cEV spot. SO STOP DOING IT!

2. “You risked your tournament life with that?” I hear this all the time around live tournaments. I guess that’s because with live you normally only get to play one tournament a day and in the case of a major main event, people may have waited months or a whole year for it. Still, that’s absolutely no excuse. Your tournament life has no value outside a sentimental one, so unless you intend to bottle that magic tournament life feeling and selling to Hallmark for a [censored] Christmas card, stop wasting your time with this mentality. What really has value in tournaments? Chips. If you’re opponents in a live tournament don’t occasionally tell you something like “dude, you’re insane!” you probably aren’t playing right. A good example of how people get nitty with their tournament lives is shoving ranges and restealing all in. An example: About 15-20 players from the money In a WSOP $1500 event it was folded to me with J5o on the button with 11 BB’s with antes in play. Both blinds were standard weak tight live players. I jammed because I know how insane tight their calling ranges are, especially moderately close to the bubble. The SB thought for about 8 years before calling with AQo, then the BB folded AQs face up. When I turned my hand over the table let out various insults for putting my stack in with J5o. The real mentality you need to have is a willingness to bust if it means creating +EV spots. Just because you waited a long time to play this tournament doesn’t mean you have an excuse to play bad.

3. “I didn’t want to risk it on a coin flip” This has got to be one of the most common. Here’s the simple truth with most probable coin flip situations: At the point you’re considering folding knowing you’re likely in a coin flip, there’s already probably way too much money in the pot to ever fold. If you raise AQo 3X and a guy shoves 15-20X, and you figure his range is AJ+/66+ (You’re about 43.5% against his pretty tight, never stealing range, and still basically flipping) you ARE NOT folding. There’s nothing wrong with getting it in on a flip as long as it’s a +EV one, which most are, especially once antes kick in.

4. “My opponents are very good, I’m going to avoid trouble.” Look, you need to have confidence in your game. If you really feel you are surrounded by players who are much better than you, you’re likely in the wrong tournament (unless you won a satellite or something like that.) Odds are, your opponents aren’t as good as you give them credit for or their results may suggest. I encourage you to have confidence bordering on delusional hubris. It’s okay to tighten up a little if you do find yourself at a table of superior players, but don’t nit it up to the point where they can run over you and you’re to paralyzed to stop them. Tournament poker can be pretty soul crushing, but showing up to the table feeling defeated just about guarantees it.

5. “Tournament poker is about survival.” No it’s really not. It’s about accumulation to enable the creation of +EV spots. I think this has been covered pretty well in the portions, but this is another common one I believe to be totally false.

Alright, that’s what I have for now. If anyone has any other common ones they’d like to suggest I can go over them. Hope this helps and of course, all questions are welcome.

Also, sorry I’ve been kind of absent lately. Most nights I like to scan the forum and post on some hands. I had some live poker to play then got Halo 3 (Bond18 on Xbox live, hit me up) so ya know, been running short on time.
Old 11-06-2007, 03:37 AM

Default Re: Things it took me a while to learn part 6, Strategy and Mentality

"Listen, any spot that’s good, by which I mean ANY SPOT THAT IS +EV/+cEV is a spot you should take."

this is so key to advancing one's tournament game. nothing to add but good post.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:11 AM

Sweet post, I like and enjoy these. Keep it up.

So what happened with your J5 vs AQ?
Old 11-06-2007, 09:29 AM

Very nice post, gonna try and dig up the rest of these.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Sweet post, I like and enjoy these. Keep it up.

So what happened with your J5 vs AQ?

[/ QUOTE ]

psh dont be results oriented.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I encourage you to have confidence bordering on delusional hubris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to frame this and put it by my computer.
I LOVE IT!!

"delusional hubris" !! sounds like something my boss would
say about me.
Old 11-06-2007, 09:42 AM

Excellent post, I love this series, thanks.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:22 AM

I must be blind, but I can't find part 5 of this series, anyone got a link?
Old 11-06-2007, 10:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I must be blind, but I can't find part 5 of this series, anyone got a link?

[/ QUOTE ]

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...ue#Post12644880

Also, all of them are stored in my blog at www.tworags.com as well.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks mate.