Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Official NBA Offseason Thread, 2007/2008 season.

[ QUOTE ]
Tblazers* (Possibly project to be ~15 million under the cap, largely depends on whether Raef retires)
-Jamaal Magloire
-Ime Udoka

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you mean Darius Miles and not Raef.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who else do you guys like?

[/ QUOTE ]
Vince Carter, for any team looking to win now. Imagine him on a team like the Jazz, who have a gaping hole at SG. Other teams I think he'd be great on is Phoenix & GSW. If I were Chicago, I'd go after him too.

Darko Milicic is still 22, so he's still got potential. I think he's still a good sign for pretty much any team. If I were to sign him for a long term contract, I wouldn't want to pay more than $6m/yr. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star, but I think he'll be a solid center who can provide shot blocking & score on occasion w/ his jump shot & post moves.

Grant Hill is good off the bench if you can get him cheap.

If I'm a team like the Lakers with a guy in his prime (Kobe) who wants to win now, but still has around 5 years of play, then the guy I target is Gerald Wallace. He's also entering his prime, plays defense & fills up the stat sheet. I still try to get rid of Odom for J.O'Neal. Odom is not a 2nd banana. Then you got O'Neal, Wallace & Kobe. That's a championship trio. 3 guys who play solid defense & can all score is different ways. Mitch Kupchak, give me your job.

Matt Carroll & Travis Diener (a scrub who's not on list, but played well in summer & preseason) are a couple of good shooters. Carroll is a solid backup SF. Diener is more like Steve Kerr, but shorter. I always thought Orlando should've traded Nelson while he had value over the offseason & went w/ a Arroyo/Diener PG combo. They should've also drafter Ronnie Brewer, but that's another story.

If I'm any team in need of a PG (Laker, Dallas, Cleveland, Houston) then go get Mo Williams. I think Billups might toy w/ free agency to bump up his stock, but there's no way he leaves that team, until someone maxes out for him. Mo Williams is better than your Smush, Snow or Alston, and it ain't easy finding decent PGs. Mo is only 24 also.

If I'm the Suns, I get Brevin Knight as my backup PG. I think he'll be cheap.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Vince Carter, for any team looking to win now. Imagine him on a team like the Jazz, who have a gaping hole at SG. Other teams I think he'd be great on is Phoenix & GSW. If I were Chicago, I'd go after him too.

Darko Milicic is still 22, so he's still got potential. I think he's still a good sign for pretty much any team. If I were to sign him for a long term contract, I wouldn't want to pay more than $6m/yr. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star, but I think he'll be a solid center who can provide shot blocking & score on occasion w/ his jump shot & post moves.

If I'm a team like the Lakers with a guy in his prime (Kobe) who wants to win now, but still has around 5 years of play, then the guy I target is Gerald Wallace. He's also entering his prime, plays defense & fills up the stat sheet. I still try to get rid of Odom for J.O'Neal. Odom is not a 2nd banana. Then you got O'Neal, Wallace & Kobe. That's a championship trio. 3 guys who play solid defense & can all score is different ways. Mitch Kupchak, give me your job.

Matt Carroll & Travis Diener (a scrub who's not on list, but played well in summer & preseason) are a couple of good shooters. Carroll is a solid backup SF. Diener is more like Steve Kerr, but shorter. I always thought Orlando should've traded Nelson while he had value over the offseason & went w/ a Arroyo/Diener PG combo. They should've also drafter Ronnie Brewer, but that's another story.

If I'm any team in need of a PG (Laker, Dallas, Cleveland, Houston) then go get Mo Williams. I think Billups might toy w/ free agency to bump up his stock, but there's no way he leaves that team, until someone maxes out for him. Mo Williams is better than your Smush, Snow or Alston, and it ain't easy finding decent PGs. Mo is only 24 also.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem with some of your possibilities is they aren't going to happen. VC will want big money, UTAH just doesn't have it. They already have 58 million tied up next year on their team. I can't see them adding a 12-14 million a year guy on the team.

Same can be said for Mo Williams on the Lakers and Gerald Wallace. I don't think anyone on the Lakers that they are willing to give up is worth a sign and trade for the Bucks or the Bobcats. Wallace deserves some love and he should get it after not much interest next year.

The players on the market should be:

Charlotte-27 Million in Contracts
Atl-48
Chicago-46 (not sure what they want to do since Deng, Gordon, will both be getting huge pay raises)
Tor-51
Orl-39
Mem-42
Was-42
Mil-41
Old 05-16-2007, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem with some of your possibilities is they aren't going to happen. VC will want big money, UTAH just doesn't have it. They already have 58 million tied up next year on their team. I can't see them adding a 12-14 million a year guy on the team.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wouldn't terribly surprise me if Utah tried to deal AK47 in the summer. He sucked all year long and then hugely increased his trade value in the playoffs. They need to be able to lock Deron Williams up. I'd hate this, because I'm a fan of the Jazz and AK47 separately, but I'm not sure if it would be a bad decision for the Jazz.

I'd rather they traded Okur though, but then they'd need a 3-point shooter. Um, Okur for Vince sign-and-trade?
Old 05-16-2007, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Same can be said for Mo Williams on the Lakers and Gerald Wallace. I don't think anyone on the Lakers that they are willing to give up is worth a sign and trade for the Bucks or the Bobcats. Wallace deserves some love and he should get it after not much interest next year.

The players on the market should be:

Charlotte-27 Million in Contracts
Atl-48
Chicago-46 (not sure what they want to do since Deng, Gordon, will both be getting huge pay raises)
Tor-51
Orl-39
Mem-42
Was-42
Mil-41

[/ QUOTE ]
Lakers:
Trade Odom & Bynum for J.O'Neal. I don't see how the Pacers turn this down.
Sign Wallace, take a 1-year hit. Kwame's contract is off the books in summer '08.

Vince has an option & he'll probably exercise it. But I don't see how the Nets don't rebuild next summer at the latest. They know their window is closed after next year, so I think they'll look to be active this summer.

So if I'm a team like Utah, I look to trade AK47 to fill in the gap at SG. If you're the Nets, and Utah offers you AK47 for Vince, you don't take it?

If I'm the Bulls, I build with Deng. That's it. Gordon, Kirk, TT, everyone else is expendable. They have cap room, young guys, & draft picks. They can be a player in the offseason for pretty much anyone. If I'm them, I don't want Gordon part of my long term building process, unless I going to build w/ a ball-handling bigger guard who can play defense.

Mo Williams is a decent PG, but maybe I have him undervalued, as I haven't seen too much of the Bucks. If so, then he'll be tougher to pick him by whomever.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cash seems to work (or its darn close, LA might need to kick some cash the Pacers' way), but I'm not sure they make it. O'Neal is making a ton of money in the next 3 years, and he's damaged goods. I guess it might make sense, but they'd need some more pieces still.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Simmons:
So here's my solution: If Phoenix gets bounced this week due to an assistant from David Stern, don't they HAVE to trade Amare Stoudemire for KG?

Right now, Stoudemire is a base-year compensation player because he's finishing the first year of his contract extension (five years, $73 million). The deal I'm proposing can't work under the cap until mid-July, when Stoudemire's cap figure morphs into the value of his current contract ($13.2 million for next season) and makes him infinitely more easy to trade (for details, check out Larry Coon's NBA salary cap FAQ). But they could still agree on a pre-draft trade that wouldn't become official until a few weeks later.

Assuming Atlanta's pick doesn't land in the top three, here's my proposal: Stoudemire, Atlanta's pick (depending on how the lottery shakes out, it would be as high as No. 4 or as low as No. 6) and Marcus Banks (for cap purposes) to Minnesota for Garnett and Minnesota's pick (as high as No. 7, as low as No. 9).

The Suns cap wise are going to have to move Amare or Marion in the next year or two...seems like this year would be the best to make the move given the 3 1st round picks they have.
Old 05-16-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The cash seems to work (or its darn close, LA might need to kick some cash the Pacers' way), but I'm not sure they make it. O'Neal is making a ton of money in the next 3 years, and he's damaged goods. I guess it might make sense, but they'd need some more pieces still.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't see what they see in Odom. He's a decent starter, that's all. O'Neal is overrated & overpaid, but so is Odom, you might as well pick up the post presence who can block a shtload of shots. I like Bynum, but when will he be good? If it's going to take another 5 yrs, it's too late. Kobe's game will be fading.

As for the Pacers. They missed the playoffs, fired their coach, their team has no future. Getting a solid starter & a potential all-star center is too good to turn down.

If I'm Minnesota, I probably take Odom, Bynum, Farmar & the Lakers draft pick for KG. This assumes I can't get a better trade elsewhere, but they need to rebuild. However, I do believe that McHale's IQ is 4.

CDS: as for Simmons' piece on KG, that trade freaks me out, b/c I wouldn't be able to comprehend the magnitude of it. For now, I'm hoping Bowen's ankles & groin explode, while the Suns win this series.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:47 PM

KG, Nash, Bell, Marion, Diaw would be pretty sick

Barbosa, Noah as reserves
Old 05-16-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KG, Nash, Bell, Marion, Diaw would be pretty sick

Barbosa, Noah as reserves

[/ QUOTE ]

It still wouldn't solve the Duncan problem which is pretty "unsolvable." And if they get KG, I can guarantee you they won't have Atlanta's pick to get Noah.
Closed Thread