Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 12:12 PM

Default interesting spot in wsop circuit event

two scenarios for you guys..looking for opinions on optimal play pre and post flop here..

$540 wsop circuit event last week at caesars..I'm in the money with 25 people left, I have 110K, 2nd biggest stack at table next to BB who has 300K..Have played with BB at other tables and he has been loose. I have a tight image. Blinds are 4k 8k 1k ante..tables have just condensed to three and the first three hands have been folded to BB. Breaking for night in 15 minutes and table appears super tight..I am UTG+1 with A 10..what's your play?

Assume you pop a raise to 30K and everyone folds to the BB who calls reluctantly..Flop comes K 8 2 rainbow..BB checks. Hero does what?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:30 PM

Default Re: interesting spot in wsop circuit event

Personally I fold this preflop you have too many live players behind. You've only played 3 hands and have no idea how tight/loose the table is.

On the flop with a check to you If you make a continuation bet you are essentially pot committed. I just don't like this situation.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:43 PM

30k seems too much the Blinds are big compared to average stacks and I think 30k over commits us to the pot. I would raise to 20k here if the table is tight it still gets the job done. On the flop I would probably try and check it down if possible and see if A high is good. If you want to make a C bet fair enough but the pot is Huge so I would fire out a little one 20-25k make it look like a suck/probe bet.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:55 PM

I like the raise if you think the table is real tight. It sounds like only the BB is likely to call, but you'll have position on him and half a hand. I do think a raise to 24K could accomplish the same while sticking less of your neck out there. 20K is too small with the antes.

Definitely c-bet the flop, probably about 60% of pot. Watch Villain carefully to determine whether to double barrel the turn if he calls. I'd almost certainly bet any face card on the turn, whether to be a blank depends on reads.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:57 PM

I assume the BB is loose aggressive? You only mentioned loose. In any case I don't like taking a marginal hand into battle with the only player who has you covered and is likely to give you action.

I think you made matters worse by raising so much. Is this your standard raise size this deep in the tournament?

As played you must cbet into a reluctant caller with that dry board. Since the board is so dry it's ok to make a small bet of 40K. I give up after this though.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:02 PM

9 handed table?? Then Im folding this in a flash pre flop.

As played, you have to make a c bet, even though your pot commited as a result of poor pre flop play.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:03 PM

FOLD pre w/ A/10 off out of position early w/ your stack size.
-- - * You barely have over 10x BB + Ante, & everone else except villian is even more severely shortstacked, & all are yet to act.
Table has been tight, so there is a good possibility they will either all fold to any size bet, or otherwise be playing for all their chips. 30K was way too large ... 16-22K would accomplish the exact same result "IF" you are going to play the hand...
Would you call if you were re-raised to 60-90K?.... Would you call or push if an Ace fell on the flop, & someone bet the pot @ 70K......
Hope your A high gets checked down or improves on the turn/river ....
Old 03-13-2007, 01:40 PM

In hindsight, this hand was the one major mistake that cost me going real deep. As played, I popped it to 30k, BB called..with his check, and 70k+ in the pot and only about 80k left in my stack, I fired all in as anything smaller would of had me pot committed anyway..i really didnt take too long with the post flop bet as I had made up my mind to fire as long there werent two overcards present. I really thought I had tons of fold equity as long as he didnt hit a king..he ended up having K6 so he made a very loose call initially..

As it turns out, a good friend of mine was sweating me from the rail and it was a great lesson in that given the BB was getting close to 2-1 to call, it wasnt a good time to make a play with a marginal hand..he used this lesson to avoid many similar situations vs other big stacks in the 6th event at the wsop circuit this weekend and actually won the whole thing ---$340 1150 man event...
Old 03-13-2007, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the raise if you think the table is real tight. It sounds like only the BB is likely to call, but you'll have position on him and half a hand. I do think a raise to 24K could accomplish the same while sticking less of your neck out there. 20K is too small with the antes.

Definitely c-bet the flop, probably about 60% of pot. Watch Villain carefully to determine whether to double barrel the turn if he calls. I'd almost certainly bet any face card on the turn, whether to be a blank depends on reads.

[/ QUOTE ]

With m of 5.5 shouldn't we just push if we're playing this?